filter cartridge life

tagprod

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2007
Tomball, Texas
How long should you expect to get out of a filter cartridge? When I was cleaning the filter last week end I noticed some of the bands that go around the filter are starting to break. I thoroughly cleaned them and got the PSI to drop 6 pounds.

A few of the bands around my cartridge filter started to break after just a couple of years, but they didn't fall apart enough to be a problem so I've still got the same ones after 5 years. I should probably be thinking about replacing them, but they don't appear to have any holes or tears and after each annual cleaning they seem in good shape and the pool remains clear with normal filtering times of around one turnover per day.

I barely register a 1 PSI rise over the year so don't notice a large drop after cleaning as you saw. I have an opaque electric safety cover that keeps the pool relatively clean so I'm sure that's the main reason. I still get cedar needles that slip through the skimmer or floor drain and through the pump strainer basket and get stuck in the filter, but it's apparently not enough to have the filter pressure rise. Also, I'm sure part of the reason it has a low pressure rise is that it is an oversized 4-cartridge filter. My pool is 16,000 gallons, but my filter is a Jandy CL340 with 340 square feet of surface area (max. flow 127 GPM; 6-hour capacity 45,720 gallons).

Richard

A 1.5 Northstar on a 425 is putting a good pop into that filter. If you see a typical life of 3-4 years on cartridges, expect a little less than that with your system. Most cartridges don't replace simply from split bands or end caps, they just don't clean as well and the frequency of cleanings increases. At that point, make the decision to but new ones.

repair_guy said:
A 1.5 Northstar on a 425 is putting a good pop into that filter. If you see a typical life of 3-4 years on cartridges, expect a little less than that with your system. Most cartridges don't replace simply from split bands or end caps, they just don't clean as well and the frequency of cleanings increases. At that point, make the decision to but new ones.
That's a good point. My pool originally had a 1 HP (full-rated, not up-rated) Jandy HHP pump which had (based on PSI readings, assumptions about suction head, and using pump curves) around 20 PSI and 90 GPM with the solar off and 33 PSI and 65 GPM with the solar on. I now use a Pentair IntelliFlo which has around 6 PSI and 26 GPM with the solar off and 26 PSI and 48 GPM with the solar on. So perhaps that's part of the reason I seem to get a longer life out of my filters due to somewhat lower flow rates, at least after getting the IntelliFlow early this year. At least I can hope that will be the case...

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.