Weather problems with cabana?

Apr 26, 2011
Morgantown, WV
I have some questions for those here who have cabanas. We are in-process with ours. I'm working on electrical and plumbing and my wife is designing the kitchen area. My questions are regarding any problems we may encounter because this is an unconditioned space. It's enclosed so it won't get wet, but of course there are humidity issues in the summer and dry air in the winter. We would like to use wood cabinets vs stainless to save money. Are we asking for trouble? Also, what about sweating on pipes with cold water? Toilet tank sweat etc...?
Thanks,
Shane

Pipe sweating is going to depend somewhat on the plumbing material and routing. Mine runs about 20ft from the house, and then another 12-15ft inside the bathroom to the toilet. Even though my water is fairly cold well water, most of the time the water in the pipes is warm before it fills the toilet. Even when I run water to top off the pool, the CPVC plumbing doesn't sweat because it stays fairly warm even with continuous flow for hours. If I had used copper, it might be a different story.

Houses used to be non-humidity controlled all the time, so I'd think wood would be fine, although I'd be reluctant to go with very low-end cabinets that had man-made wood products in them. You might also compare polymer cabinets for price as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.