Need Help for Motor or Pump Replacement

a0128958

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 12, 2008
Dallas (Plano), TX
One-quarter of my electric energy consumption goes toward my pool equipment. I have 3 single speed motors, a 2 hp for circulation/spa/backwashing/vacuuming, a 2.5 hp for a waterfall, and a 3/4 hp for a pressure side cleaner (Polaris).

I've had this pool for many years. The plan has been to replace the circulation pump when it finally wears out with a VS pump. That time point has occurred. The 2 hp motor is finally 'toast,' after a good 8+ years of faithful service in the Dallas heat.

I have an energy monitoring system (location is in signature) so I know my energy consumption last year for my circulation pump was about 4500 kWh. At my current 9¢ electric rate, that's about $405 for the year.

Knowing how much of an energy hog a single-speed 2 hp motor is, I've got the run time down to the minimum required for good water quality and chemical dispensing, about 6.2 hrs/day on avg across the year (more in summer, less in winter).

After reading many postings here at this excellent site, it's pretty easy to conclude that it would be a pretty long pay-back period putting in a VS pump. My electric rate is too low. So, it's onward to finding a 2-speed motor or pump.

My (now dead) circ pump is a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II P4EA6G-152L, installed in 1996. It's a pre-1998 pump so it has a copper insert. It's also the 'up-rated' (vs. full) model. The motor is an A.O. Smith USQ1202, labeled as 2 HP / 1.1 SF, and labeled at 10.4 Amps (and 3450 rpm). (I believe this is the same motor as an SQ1152 1.5 hp / 1.47 sf motor. And thus I have a 1.5 hp impeller).

The pump itself continues to work fine, and has never been serviced - it's 15 years old now. The motor was replaced 8 years ago with an exact replacement of the original single speed motor.

I already have an automation system (Jandy AquaLink) with a spare relay available to connect to a 2-speed motor.

Details of my pool are in my signature - summary is it's 30,000 gallon, the circ pump is used for circ/backwashing/vacuuming/spa (with appropriate automation and valve control), 3 skimmers each with 1.5" pipe and a drain with 2" pipe, a 2" line for return outlets or spa, and a top of DE filter pressure meter range from 22 - 32 psi (clean vs full).

My fundamental questions are:

1. Is there a 2-speed A.O. Smith manufactured motor I can purchase that is a 'drop in' replacement for what I have?

2. Is there some other brand of 2-speed motor I should consider that would out perform or out-last a 2-speed A.O. Smith manufactured motor?

3. Is the currently offered 2 Hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 2-speed pump's motor (P6RA6YG-207L) a 'drop in' replacement for the single speed motor I have? (I don't know if this 2 Hp pump is 'up-rated' or 'full'.)

4. Is there significant risk a 2-speed motor 'drop in' to my current Max-E-Glas II pump will not work well when running on low speed (i.e. difficulty of obtaining/maintaining prime)?

5. As long as my Max-E-Glas II pump has to be disassembled to replace the motor, are there some pump parts that should be replaced just as matter of 'good practice' (i.e. is there something like an 'overhaul kit' that should be purchased)?

6. Should I instead conclude 15 years is a plenty good life for a pump and thus replace the pump and motor as a complete assembly?

Many thanks for the kind assistance!

Best regards,

Bill

My fundamental questions are:

1. Is there a 2-speed A.O. Smith manufactured motor I can purchase that is a 'drop in' replacement for what I have?

2. Is there some other brand of 2-speed motor I should consider that would out perform or out-last a 2-speed A.O. Smith manufactured motor?

3. Is the currently offered 2 Hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 2-speed pump's motor (P6RA6YG-207L) a 'drop in' replacement for the single speed motor I have? (I don't know if this 2 Hp pump is 'up-rated' or 'full'.)

4. Is there significant risk a 2-speed motor 'drop in' to my current Max-E-Glas II pump will not work well when running on low speed (i.e. difficulty of obtaining/maintaining prime)?

5. As long as my Max-E-Glas II pump has to be disassembled to replace the motor, are there some pump parts that should be replaced just as matter of 'good practice' (i.e. is there something like an 'overhaul kit' that should be purchased)?

6. Should I instead conclude 15 years is a plenty good life for a pump and thus replace the pump and motor as a complete assembly?

1. You have lots of choices.
2 Speeds:
AO SMITH 2 Speed New Centurion High Efficiency: B2983 (1.5/.19) or B2984 (2.0/.25) motors.

2. There are other motor manufactures Emerson/Marathon come to mind. You could also go rebuilt. It's kinda like comparing Ford/Chrysler/GM.

3. If it fits, and has a larger or same THP = (HP * SF) then you should be good to go.

4. Possibly, typically you run in High for a bit, get prime, then switch to low.

5. You should at the minimum replace the pump seal when changing out motors.

Good luck in your search.

a0128958 said:
Knowing how much of an energy hog a single-speed 2 hp motor is, I've got the run time down to the minimum required for good water quality and chemical dispensing, about 6.2 hrs/day on avg across the year (more in summer, less in winter).

i'm in no way an expert, but for what is't worth, it seems that 2hp motor for 30k pool should result in the run-time less than 6.2 hours. i have an 1hp (1.1SFHP) pump on 30k pool and my pump time is 6.5 hours and the water couldn't be cleaner.

tgmb said:
I would say yes- 15 years is a long life. My EcoPump EP6 is an AO Smith 2 speed, and I do believe they sell the motors as a stand alone on the EcoPump website. Good luck..

Thanks. I checked on availability of an EP6 EcoPump motor only and yes it can be purchased in this manner. Comes with a 3 year warranty, and 2 more years is offered for $100.

I'm going to wait to see what others comment as far as whether or not after 15 years it's prudent to replace my Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pump or if it will keep right on pumping fine assuming replacement of wearable parts (i.e. seals, rings).

If so, I'll check to see if the EP6 is a 'drop in' replacement for the USQ1202 motor I currently have.

Best regards,

Bill

bobodaclown said:
1. You have lots of choices. 2 Speeds: AO SMITH 2 Speed New Centurion High Efficiency: B2983 (1.5/.19) or B2984 (2.0/.25) motors.

2. There are other motor manufactures Emerson/Marathon come to mind. You could also go rebuilt. It's kinda like comparing Ford/Chrysler/GM.

3. If it fits, and has a larger or same THP = (HP * SF) then you should be good to go.

4. Possibly, typically you run in High for a bit, get prime, then switch to low.

5. You should at the minimum replace the pump seal when changing out motors.

Good luck in your search.

Much appreciate the helpful comments.

My A.O. Smith USQ1202 single-speed motor is a 48Y frame. I looked at the B2983, as it fits perfectly from a total Hp point of view (1.5 * 1.47). But, mechanically, it's a 56Y frame, unfortunately. I think this means it won't fit since my USQ1202 motor is a 48Y.

Best regards,

Bill

Diver said:
... it seems that 2hp motor for 30k pool should result in the run-time less than 6.2 hours. i have an 1hp (1.1SFHP) pump on 30k pool and my pump time is 6.5 hours and the water couldn't be cleaner.

Appreciate the comment. I'm guessing that my single-speed USQ1202 1.5HP/1.47SF pump was pushing about 85 gpm, based on the amount of power the pump was consuming, the pressure reading of my filter gage, and the fact that I have 2" pipe. At 85 pgm, 1 turnover is 5.9 hrs.

You're right, I can run less, and in fact do in cooler weather (cut it down to 4 hrs per day). Right now it's blistering hot in Dallas, so 6 hrs is working fine.

Thanks.

Bill

bobodaclown said:
I'm 90% sure the difference is a foam spacer between the 47Y and 56Y.

Are you sure a B2983 with a 56Y frame size will replace perfectly a USQ1202 with a 48Y frame size, with just a spacer?

Wish I knew what frame size means.

Thanks for the comment. I'm going to go learn about frame size.

Best regards,

Bill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bobodaclown said:

Bob, this link helped a lot. Thanks.

Along with other research, I now understand frame sizing. In my case I've always had a spacer present for my 48Y frame size USQ1202 motor that was part of my Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pump. I now understand I can direct replace this 48Y motor with a 56Y by simply removing the rubber materialed spacer. Excellent.

I've also now learned that AO Smith offers a line of 2 speed motors that are advertised to be about 20% more efficient that regular 2 speed motors. This is the E-Plus Centurion line, offering four 230V models, B2980 - B2984. The B2983 high speed matches my existing USQ1202 performance perfectly (1.5 Hp, 1.47 SF, 10.0 A).

I've also looked around to see if there are other competing '20% more efficient' 2 speed motors. So far I have found EcoPump, but, it looks to be an AO Smith B2983 OEM motor - just has a different label on it, along with the offering of a 3 year warranty (and 2 more for $100).

Now it's on to determine if the impeller in my Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pump is compatible with the 2-speed motor.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

bobodaclown said:
If you check out the new owners manual you'll see it's the same impeller.http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/DuraGlasIIOM.pdf Pg 14.

115/230 Volt HP Motor Impeller
P4R6E-187L 1 A100EHL C105-238PB
P4RA6F-187L 1-1/2 A100FLL C105-238PB

230 Volt
2-Speed
P4RA6YF-187L 1-1/2 A100FLL-Y C105-238PB

Bob, much appreciated.

I looked at the manual, and determined the same is true for the P4R6F-188L (full rated 1.5 Hp, SQ1152), the P4R6A6G-188L (up-rated 2.0 Hp, USQ1202), and the P4RA6YG-188L (uprated 2-speed 2 Hp, SQS1202R): it's all the same impeller - C105-238PDBA.

So my summary conclusion here is I can replace my AO Smith USQ1202 48Y 2.0 Hp 'up-rated' motor in my Sta-Rite P4EA6G-152L pump with a 2-speed AO Smith B2983 56Y 1.5 Hp / 1.47 SF pump without need for changing the impeller. Excellent.

Now on to figuring out what pump parts I should replace while I have it apart. My guess is it will be the seal plate o-ring, shaft seal, diffuser, and diffuser o-ring.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

July 29th update:

I purchased an AO Smith 56Y Two Speed Square Flange 1.5/0.19 Hp (3450/1725 rpm) 1.47 SF pump (B2983) from A1 Poolparts.com, based on positive comments here at TFP on A1. Excellent transaction and all went well. (Motor arrived yesterday.) I also purchased replacement o-rings and seals.

But...

Today I checked to see if the motor fits the Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II (P4EA6G-152L) pump. Indeed it bolts perfectly to the seal plate, but, the motor's too big for the base. I even removed the rubber motor pad from the base, thinking that would provide enough room for the motor, but, still, motor doesn't come close to fitting.

Bummer.

Do I need to return the motor to A1, and start over by finding a full pump/motor assembly that includes this 2 speed motor?

Any suggestions? Can anyone help? Would much any assistance, please.

Many thanks!

Bill

Normally, the motor support has a spacer which can be removed to accommodate a larger motor but I am not certain about that model.

mas985 said:
Normally, the motor support has a spacer which can be removed to accommodate a larger motor but I am not certain about that model.

Thank you. I went back and looked again. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how the motor support base can accommodate a 56Y motor. The base forces the 56Y motor to not be inline to the pump.

I'm going to call A1 Pool Parts, the company I purchased the pump from, tomorrow, and ask them if they have any suggestions. Many pump suppliers, like A1, advertise the B2983 motor to fit the Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II (among other pump models too). While it certainly bolts to the seal plate fine, the motor's too big for the base, unless I'm missing something.

If indeed I need to return the motor, perhaps they carry a pump with this specific motor (B293), and I'll purchase from them a complete complete pump/motor unit.

Best regards,

Bill

August 1st Update:

The Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pump's base w/ motor pad (C104-78P) is listed by Pentair as a 48Y base.

There's another base available (C104-79P) that's listed by Pentair as a 56Y base. It's detailed in the parts list for a Max-E-Glas II as a base only for 3 Hp pumps.

I called Pentair (1-800-831-7133) and confirmed the 79P base is listed as "56Y."

I've ordered the 79P base from aqua-man.com . Once the new base comes in, I'll report back if indeed all is now 'go' for replacing a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pump's single speed 2 THp 48Y Square Flange motor with the most efficient square flange 2 speed motor I can find (AO Smith B2983 56Y E-Plus High Efficiency, same as Eco Motor EM-6).

Thanks for the help that's been extended so far. Hopefully my detailed notes will help someone in the future who just wants to change out a motor on an otherwise perfectly functioning 48Y square flange pump, and wants to do it with the most efficient 2 speed square flange motor available today.

Best regards,

Bill

tgmb said:
Bill- did you mean eco motor em-6 or eco- pump EP6? Just curious. Thanks.

Tom

Spectralightuv indeed offers whole pump/motor assemblies, and, motors alone. For 2 THp, it's either the EP-6 (pump/motor assembly) or the EM-6 (motor alone).

In either case, it's the same motor. It looks like this company is using the recently available AO Smith E-Plus High Efficiency 2 speed motors (i.e. B2983) and putting a wet end pump to them. And they've put a bunch of fancy advertising to go with their offerings.

I haven't found definitively another pool pump manufacturer using the AO Smith E-Plus motors, although I think it's possible Pentair Whisperflo may be.

I also haven't found a 2 speed motor more efficient than the E-Plus motors. It looks to me that at the moment, for example, at about 2 THP, the B2983 is 'king of the hill' of 2 speed motors. It further looks to me that to do better you have to go to variable speed motors, like what's inside an Intelliflow pump.

Best regards,

Bill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.