Going on vacation for 7 days...what to do?

JJSeabrook

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2011
What should I do in advance of leaving as far as chemistry????? Won't be anyone to touch the pool while I'm gone. I suppose I'm going to have to leave the pump on for the full 7 days I'm gone?

Daytime temps here are running about 105 - 110. I'm going to the mountains to escape the heat for a bit. Water in the pool is like a bathtub. How high should I bring up my FC to not come back to an algae pit?

TIA

JJ

woodyp said:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/vacation-tips-and-tricks-t34446.html?hilit=vacation

There's you a link on the topic.

TY! I have a little bubble cover stuff and will put that in the pool too. Shock it up and put a few tabs in the floating chlorine thing. Not gonna run the pump the whole time I'm gone, and have no timer on it. Ought to work.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJ

I just got back, gave a double dose of PolyQ 60, Shocked the pool. Turned Chlorinator to nominal setting. Had a neighbor check my pool (we were in the mid 90's last week) luckily he caught a hose pop off or sabotage (it has been in place since April). Unless my plant watering person hit it somehow. Moral of the story Poly Q 60 and shock saved my pool even after filter was off for 2 or 3 days (will find out more tomorrow). Water is clear, chlorine just a tad bit low.

Re: Going on vacation for 9 days...what to do?

I'm putting in 6 gallons, 1 quart, to bring it up from 1 to 27. 27 is mustard algae shock level so hopefully that will hold til I get home. Maybe I should make it even higher for 9 days gone? I have no timer on my pump so the pump won't run at all for 9 days.

I have a blue bubble type cover. Water temp is 92 degrees. Think I should put that thing on there? IF so, to not increase the heat to the water as much should I put the bubbles up instead of down or down instead of up? I'm thinking bubbles up would transmit less heat to the water.

Just about ready to leave heck and say Hello to the mountains. 44 days in a row of temps in excess of 100 degrees here so far, and no end in sight. Had to sell off 75% of my cattle herd for lack of food and water, but such is life. Just looking forward to getting out of here for a while.

TIA for your suggestions!

JJ

Lifetime Supporter Member. :-D

Hello John,

This email confirms that you have donated $30.00 USD to Trouble Free Pool ([email protected]) using PayPal.
This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *TROUBLEFREE".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donation Details
Confirmation number: 2M263001CD5878905
Donation amount: $30.00 USD
Total: $30.00 USD
Purpose: TFP Lifetime Supporter
Contributor: John

Thanks for all the help!

JJ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Going on vacation for 9 days...what to do?

JJSeabrook said:
I'm putting in 6 gallons, 1 quart, to bring it up from 1 to 27. 27 is mustard algae shock level so hopefully that will hold til I get home. Maybe I should make it even higher for 9 days gone? I have no timer on my pump so the pump won't run at all for 9 days.

I have a blue bubble type cover. Water temp is 92 degrees. Think I should put that thing on there? IF so, to not increase the heat to the water as much should I put the bubbles up instead of down or down instead of up? I'm thinking bubbles up would transmit less heat to the water.

Just about ready to leave **** and say Hello to the mountains. 44 days in a row of temps in excess of 100 degrees here so far, and no end in sight. Had to sell off 75% of my cattle herd for lack of food and water, but such is life. Just looking forward to getting out of here for a while.

TIA for your suggestions!

JJ

Came home to a pool "slightly" having algae started. Very happy with the minimal algae start. Zapped it yesterday, killed it, and crystal clear pool and bottom. Did have to brush it to perfect it, but it's gorgeous. Pump never ran while I was gone. Didn't have full cover with the bubble stuff on the pool and had quite a few leaves. Wasn't a big issue. Couldn't be happier, nor my pool boy son. LOL BTW. Decided to stay 10 days instead of 9. All good here. :-D

JJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.