Pool Cleaning

Pleakpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2007
Pleak, Texas
We have a 24' above ground pool. When we bought it (used) it came with a Manta suction-side cleaner. It does a moderately acceptable job. But it requires monitoring when it is running because at various times it has suctioned up the side of the pool to the top and started inhaling air, the tubing randomly collapses, and the flexible rubber plate-shape on the head occasionally falls off.

So I was thinking about getting a different kind of auto cleaner and even debating putting in a dedicated suction line instead of going through the skimmer.

I can't afford a lot here, but I want something I would be happy with. Anybody have any suggestions as to brands/type? Would a dedicated suction line help at all? Where is the best place for locating a new suction line?

Eddie, why not just vacuum the pool manually? With a round AG pool, everything should settle into the center of the pool - it'd take ~ 5 min to do it every few days. Then you don't have to worry about the auto cleaner sucking air or loosing it's pad. With everything getting more expensive almost daily, save the $ and manually vac a couple times/ week and don't worry about spending $$ on installing a new line or buying a new auto-vac :wink:

waste said:
Eddie, why not just vacuum the pool manually? With a round AG pool, everything should settle into the center of the pool - it'd take ~ 5 min to do it every few days. Then you don't have to worry about the auto cleaner sucking air or loosing it's pad. With everything getting more expensive almost daily, save the $ and manually vac a couple times/ week and don't worry about spending $$ on installing a new line or buying a new auto-vac :wink:

Good Advice! If you don't have a lot of trees around you could probably do it once a week. It would take 20 minutes.

waste said:

Because I'm lazy and was trying to get out of that. :-D

I was looking at the cheapo manual vacs at lowes the other day - or they any worse/better than any of the other ones out there?

I am sorta in the same boat as pleakpool. I use a sta rite little shark automatic vacuum which would be fine except that it constantly gets stuck in different spots against the wall and has to be bumped back on track. Other than vacuuming manually, what are some automatic cleaners that you guys could suggest to us that work better than what we have now? Maybe something like the kreepy krawly or dirt devil?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.