NEWB looking for mentor

jj5000

Jun 14, 2011
Longview, TX
Installed my 24ft round last week..per doughboys instructions you have to fill it half way up before fininshing the installation process..blah.blah.blah...water sat for 3 days before I could finish..fill it the rest of the way up and my daughter and I immediately slipped and fell due to the slippery liner :lol:

I knew from the slime that algae was setting in...it wasnt bad but was there..as I scrubbed the pool floor and walls thoroughly (and she played) the water became slightly green..not bad..but you could see it..on a green scale of 1 to 10..it was probably a 2 or 3.

Wasnt sure what to do but I knew I needed to get some sanitation going (right???) so I got on the pool calculator and started to look up how much chlorine to put in. From reading I learned that I may need to shock it with the algae settling and the fact that I have not added any Chlorine yet...not sure what to do..I added 1 bottle (182 oz) of regular bleach. The next day the liner was clean as a whistle and the water was clear.

BTW, I bought a trouble free test kit before I even put the pool in...so the next day I test the water..I cant get any test to register anything. At first I did the simple CL test from inside the Taylor test kit...remains clear. Next I try the chlorine drop test, it never turns pink to continue second part of test. I tried to do the TA test (I believe this is the one where you watch the black dot as you fill it up until you cant see it anymore) i could see the dot even when the tube was full. THe only test that has shown anything other than just clear is the PH test wich is the highest (8.2??). I feel like Im just wasting the chemicals in my test kit. Whats weird is I have no complaints about the water..its clear and comfortable..but when I did the simple CL test..it hasnt even the slightest hint of yellow....totally clear? SO this means my Chlorine is low and I could be on the virge of something happening, yes? Perhaps flirting with the algae coming back? So what to do? This morning before CHurch I added another full bottle of bleach...still nothing on the simple CL or drop test. Also, I was sent the wrong gasket with my filter so it has not ran since install, but like I said whater looks, smells and feels fine. Please steer us in the right direction. I dont think I can afford to refill pool should something happen.

No its not running...hopefully the pool place has the right gaskets and can get that going tom? The pool calc was acting funny the night I was trying to punch in the info. I went down to the manual section and said "if I want FC to be around 15 (shock level, right) I need to add 500 ozs of bleach. Can I do this without pump running?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.