Vinyl Liner SWG Startup - Salt Damage

Jun 17, 2010
Hello All.

I just received a Compupool SWG and I'm getting ready to salt the pool before installing the system. I have a 25k gallon in ground vinyl liner pool with around 4 years on the liner. I was wondering if dumping all this salt (around 700lbs) into the pool will damage the liner. I was thinking about disolving the salt bags in a 40 gallon trash can and then dumping it into the pool. ANy advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roland

Welcome to TFP!!

The salt shouldn't harm the liner but, just to be safe, I always walked it around the pool (~ 20' per bag). I'd Place 3, or so, bags at ~25' intervals around the pool then open and 'dump' the top bag from the first pile, open and 'dump' the top bag from the second pile...- sure it's 3 laps around the pool but, most of it dissolves before settling on the bottom. After all the bags are in, I brush up the little piles and wait ~24 hours (with the system running) before firing up the generator.

Please don't add the full 700 lbs all at once! Put in 620 Lbs and wait to see how the unit reacts when you turn it on - it's MUCH easier to add a little more salt than to try to get it out of the water! :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. I currently have 600lbs of salt going into the pool. A mixture of 1/3 Pool salt and 2/3 Water Softener (blue bag) salt. It seems to be disolving rather quickly. 360lbs is already in and I do another 120 after work today. I have not installed the SWG. That will most likely be a job for this weekend.

It's so freakin hot here in dallas that my cool deck is not cool and I don't really want to spend any time outside. My thermometers were reading 106+ on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.