screw working its way out of steel way out in inground pool

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
This is very odd. As I was brushing the sides of the pool this morning I noticed that in a section by the steps there seems to be a screw working its way out of the steel wall. I have gone back and looked at the photos I took during the build and this is right where a section of the wall was screwed together. But it's not just the screw, it seems like there's concrete moving its way up the wall too; at least that's what it feels like. And it's only in this one section of the wall. The screw feels like it's going to bust through at any minute. Is there something I can do before that happens? And as for whatever this other stuff is....what in the heck could it be? :scratch: The wall doesn't feel compromised and nothing is jaunting out anywhere.

TIA

Karen

Re: screw working its way out of steel way out in inground p

Only 4 years Dave. The PB was a complete moron! Any thoughts of him repairing it are out of the question. I withheld his last payment. I'm suddenly feeling sick at the cost of this! I just can't seem to get away from his shoddy work!

Karen, can you post a pic of this? (all of the screws or bolts that have concrete around them should be behind the wall???)

We've helped you with the initial build problems and will do so again :-D

In the meantime, don't mess with the area!

(with your eyes closed, floating in the pool, with a raspberry margarita, listening to Jimmy - you'll never notice it :lol: :cheers: )

Oh Ted....you're right! :lol: Except for the part when it does break through and all the water is gone and I'm no longer floating! :shock: THAT will be a problem.... :lol:

I've taken some pics....hope they help in seeing this.

This one shows how far it is sticking out...

DSC_0066.jpg

Right above my big toe is where it is..........

DSC_0067.jpg

which looks eerily to be in the exact place that the screw was put in during the build!

wallduringbuild.jpg

Here's the area from the back during the build. I can't tell whether the screws are on the inside or the outside.

100_0528.jpg

I know I'm going to have to have someone come look at this, but what are we looking at as far as fixing this BEFORE in causes destruction? And what would be involved? Can it be fixed just in that area or is the whole liner going to have to come out and be replaced?

I swear...the PB has put a hex on me! :shock:

Thanks for any and all advice!

Karen

Nice flip-flop tan you have there. :cool:

I'm sure Ted will chime in, but I'd hope they could drain the shallow end empty, pull the liner back and repair it without having to replace the liner.

midtngal said:
Pretty obvious I wear nothing but flip flops on the weekends huh.......
TMI :oops: :mrgreen:

midtngal said:
I'm just hoping that this can/will hold off until Oct.
You need to have it done while it's still warm enough that the liner will have some stretch, I'd think.

Oops...I forgot who I talking to! :lol: :hammer:

You need to have it done while it's still warm enough that the liner will have some stretch, I'd think.
Waaaahhhh...the way these PBs work (and I though I was on island time! :shock: ), they'll probably ruin the end of the season for me cause they'll take so long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hey Karen :wave:

This looks to be a manufacturers' defect. It seems that one of the 'rivets' that holds the uprights to the panel is somehow backing out :rant:

Talk to your PB about it and find out what the warranty is on the panels.

The good news is that the screws used are ~ that long, so it oughtn't get worse.

Well Ted, that's a problem. There's no such thing as talking to my builder any more. At the 7th month of the build and 3 weeks since he had told me he would be bringing the cleaner over, cleaning up the pool and area and giving me pool school....I fired him, and dared him to sue me for the last 2K payment! I had waited long enough for him to do what he said he was gonna do. I had documented everything and told him so. He waited about 2 months before he cashed my check for the electrical (which I did pay him because I SAID I would) and I've never heard from him since. All the problems with the pump that I've had I've gone direct to Pentair over. I wouldn't have a clue how to go about finding out this manufacturer.

It looks like I'm going to be here most of the day on Thur having other work done so I think I will call this pool co. that's been helping with the latest issues; although they aren't much better but at least they will come look at it.

Do you agree with Dave that they should be able to drain the pool enough to fix this area without having to redo the whole liner (obviously based on the facts here....I wouldn't hold ya to it! :) And if that's the case, what do you think something like this should cost? Just so I'll know if they're in line.......

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help!

Karen

Karen, draining the pool down to that spot won't be an issue :-D your liner is new enough and you haven't 'chemically abused' it.

If you're felling bold, you can drain the pool down to ~ 2" in the shallow end, undo the liner and remove the offending screw yourself. (Maybe use a couple pieces of duct tape to seal the hole - ain't no one gonna be able to replace the screw with a deck in place :!: )

Please let me know how it goes :-D

Well, I am pretty bold, but I don't think I am THIS bold! Not only because I know I'd never be able to get the liner back in the track but I think there's more to this than just the screw. And, in my world....it's NEVER just something small and simple! :rant: In that same panel there's a "track" of bumps that feels like some of the concrete has come out as well...crazy how it could but that's what it feels like. It's bumpy like it's been laid over gravel. I don't recall that I've felt this before. I don't know if the flood last year contributed to this or not. The water did get within about an inch of coming over the coping which meant it could possibly have gotten behind the liner. We've had a lot of rain this year as well. I've noticed there are tiny little bubbles on the sides of the pool under the water in that area. I am losing air somehow, somewhere because all of a sudden the strainer basket empties when the pump is off. The pool doesn't seem to be losing water. It primes right up and works normally when I turn it on but something ain't right!! :shock: Bottom line...I need a pool doctor! :lol:

I will see if I can get these folks over here on Thur and I'll let ya know what they say.

Thanks a bunch! :bowdown: :salut:

Wow....10 days later and I am STILL waiting on someone to make it here to look at this! Grrrr.... :x

I did get out the pool building materials and see that Foxx does warranty this kind of stuff for the life of the owner....so I may be looking at warranty work. I have sent an email to them explaining the situation and letting them know that someone else besides the original pool builder will have to be the one to do the work. We'll see what they say.......

Been a cra**y year for the pool this year! :cry:

Alrighty....the pool folks have finally made it here! :whoot:

He says he believes it is oxidation and not rust and that it is not a screw but oxidation. Not being the pool expert, I don't necessarily want to disagree, but I think he's wrong about it not being a screw. But, that being said, he says the only way to know for sure is to drain the pool and pull back the liner, which we all knew. He says to wait a month or so until the end of the season to do this which of course, I agree. Here's his solution at this point and what I'd like to have opinions on... he thinks that the liner needs to be replaced and when they do this to spray the walls with foam to stop this from getting worse. He thinks Foxx will say that this is NOT warranty work because oxidation and rust are 2 different things. The guy from Foxx did respond and say that I could have someone besides the original PB do it if in fact it is warranty work. He was pretty agreeable at this point, but did point out if it is an installation issue then it's on me to either get the PB to do it or pay for myself; which I already figured. I just told the guy today that I would pay for it before I would call the original PB. The words in their material state..."Because Foxgard offers such lasting protection, the warranty states: "Fox warrants that pool wall system components...will not deteriorate as a result of corrosion...and extends for the life of the original purchaser." See the actual warranty for details."...which of course, I never received that I can tell. This guy today says it's because of the salt system and water getting behind the liner. Foxx's booklet also states that this "Foxgard component can pass a salt spray test of 2500 hours per ASTN B117-73". So if I read this right, they are "warrantying" it even if a salt system is involved.

So I guess I'm looking for 1) opinions on this guys' solution to the issue and 2) whether you all think it should be a warranty issue to take to Foxx or at least how to approach them with it in a manner that they agree and pay if ya'll think as I do that there shouldn't be a big stink between rust and oxidation.

TIA

Karen

I don't agree that oxidation and rust are not the same thing. Rust is the product of oxidation of some metals. In fact if you google, "what is rust?" you will get several results that say rust is the result of the oxidation of metal. Try to get the work done under warranty.

Yeah, when I looked up oxidation the definition said...to oxidize. Gee, thanks...that answers THAT question! : :lol: I strongly believe this is defintely a warranty repair as well. I just wanted to see what ya'll thought before I go to the Foxx Corp. guy. I think I will put it to him that it is rusted as far as can be seen at this point. I'm not going to get into an argument of rust vs. oxidation. All will be told when the liner is pulled back. The saga shall continue in a couple of months! Thanks all!

Karen

The advice remains the same:"crank up the concoction maker, turn up the Buffett and enjoy the pool!"

We can speculate and guess but won't know what's going on until the liner gets peeled back.

Did you feed the pool dude a few margaritas before he said you'd probably need a new liner? Your liner should be pliable enough to get behind it to do the fix and still be able to reinstall it!

We'll wait and see what is the problem, until then "crank, turn, enjoy" :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.