Are We Crazy? Downsizing from 24' round to 12x17 oval

Jul 11, 2011
We currently have a 24 foot 48" AG pool. The pool is buried all but about a foot. I found a slide on Craigslist I wanted - the lady wouldn't sell the slide alone, so I had to buy the entire deal - pool, deck and slide for $400.(great deal in my opinion as the slide retails for around $900. Our pool is 14 years old and the top rails are starting to rust and bend. The pool from Craigslist is 12 x 17 52" oval with 9" wide resin top rails. It is only 1 1/2 years old and in good shape - all parts like new, no rust and no wear. We've since decided that after this season is over, we are going to take the 24' out of the hole and install the smaller oval pool in the hole and add fill dirt. My daughter is practically the only one that swims. I swim with her or sit on the deck and read as she swims. Do you think we will regret downsizing? We have a 3 acres so size isn't an issue. She practically lives in the pool and since we installed the slide on the current pool and deck, she actually uses less of the pool than before. She slides gets out and slides again. This is a big decision since there is such a size difference. Does anyone else have a pool this small and do you enjoy it?

Thanks for your opinions. Val

I'm thinking pool parties are only going to increase in frequency with a teenager. And that's a good thing-------you'll know where she is and get to kow her friends better.

We have an oval and I'm telling you that one is too small if there are going to be teenagers in there - they are ALWAYS in mine and we live 10 miles from town.

Daughter is 8 right now and I will probably try to get an inground before she is 15 or 16. Yeah, I was just talking to my dh about this and we both are rethinking it even thought the oval is much nicer of a pool.

Thanks for all of the comments. We love the 24 foot. Also we have three married sons with 5 grandbabies - right now they aren'at too interested in getting in the pool so we have a child size blow up for them. I'm sure that will change soon though.

Well, another question is does anyone have an idea where to get new top rails and the best place to get a new liner.

Val

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.