New AGP - Electrical Question

Jul 11, 2011
West Monroe, La
Hey gang

We are early in the process of our new AGP - we have decided to go with a Matrix Resin with a saltwater system. I am going to have a pretty long electrical run (150ft) and want to make sure I get it right (at least ask for the right stuff to quote). We are using a 1hp motor that I have been told needs 115V and pulls about 7-10A, I am not sure what the salt water generator needs but probably about the same, so I will need at least 2 plugs, but if I would also like a couple of additional outlets for future use (lights, maybe a fan, radio) what would you recommend I ask the electrician to quote. Since the run is so far from the house I may need to put a small box out by the pool pump. I may buy the components myself if I can get them cheaper than the electrician so if you have any recommendations for a good outdoor box and wire wholesalers that would be great.

I will probably come directly from the main power box on the outside of the house.

Thanks
Clint

I'd either set a sub panel or make sure the pump and swcg are 220 volts.

If oyu set a sub panel you can get an outdoor panel at most big box home improvement stores. I'd run a 60 to 100 amp panel out there. and that'll be some pretty big wire at 150'.

Sorry I can't be of much help but when I told the electrician I wanted extra outlets for a light and a radio he sort of chuckled and said the inspector doesn't really like the idea of putting a boom box on the edge of the pool. I suppose your code could be different.

Do you need a heater? We had them put in two dedicated twenty amps. One for the pump the other for the heater.

MNPoolDreamer said:
Sorry I can't be of much help but when I told the electrician I wanted extra outlets for a light and a radio he sort of chuckled and said the inspector doesn't really like the idea of putting a boom box on the edge of the pool. I suppose your code could be different.

Interesting since code REQUIRES a convenience outlet to be located near the pool.

We have a convience outlet as well our code is five feet behind the pump outlet which is 10 feet from the pool. I love having the extra outlet for the pool cover pump in the off season and for speakers and pool light during the summer. We had a 100ft run from the house to pump, our electrician used a trencher to dig it, cost about $130 for the rental but since the work was done during the summer and the ground was dry and rock hard it would have cost much more to have the trench hand dug. You may want to factor the cost of hand dug vs. a trencher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.