Intex easy set skimmer bracket

Rowski

Jul 5, 2011
Northern VT
Was having problems with my skimmer not staying in the water after temp changes. This is due to the inflated ring losing and gaining pressure from temp change and the bracket slipping or not slipping. I sure don't want to ruin my new Intex sand filter pump. It has actually sucked air once already for about 1 hr.

So what I did is make a bracket that is not hooked to the pool.

This is try number one. We will see how rugged it is and how long the pvc lasts.

I used 1" pvc. Kinda rifled it together while the kinds were in the pool.

So far it works great. Held up to 1 swim cycle with 4 people in the pool.

What I really like is it pulls water all the way around the rim of the floater. Seems to work better. Also I don't have to worry about sucking air.

I know the counter weight is a little "hokey". I forgot the sand bags at work.

I'm sure there will be some future modifications.

Attachments

• Skimmer1 (Large).JPG
    Skimmer1 (Large).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,514
  • Skimmer2 (Large).JPG
    Skimmer2 (Large).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 2,396
I went ahead and "copied" Rowski. Thanks for the great idea. Made a couple of changes, mainly on the back brace which actually increased stability enough to ditch the weights. Works very well!

[attachment=2:1vlclb75]Skimmer3.jpg[/attachment:1vlclb75]

[attachment=1:1vlclb75]Skimmer1.jpg[/attachment:1vlclb75]

[attachment=0:1vlclb75]Skimmer2.jpg[/attachment:1vlclb75]

Attachments

• Skimmer3.jpg
    Skimmer3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,747
  • Skimmer1.jpg
    Skimmer1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,744
  • Skimmer2.jpg
    Skimmer2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,738
Bought the materials to do this a couple days ago. Getting the cutter from my dad, and plan to have it done by the weekend.

Bryanm, how did you get the angles to work on yours, the vertical pipe closest to the pool looks like it's at an angle in the fitting. I'm surprised that the part holding the skimmer isn't angled down with it like that, or is that pipe just barely inserted into the bottom of that "T"?

Also, is any of this glued together, or just dry fitted, to allow for dis-assembly?

Well, couldn't wait for a reply. Decided to go with the original frame construction. Works really well just dry fit together, allows for adjustment if needed to get the proper angle desired on the skimmer. I also didn't need a counterweight, as I was able to slide it up next to the house and pool, and kind of wedge it in there. I was only able to make my frame a 20" square, but it seems stable enough. I also liked being able to use the end of the original bracket for depth adjustments.

[attachment=0:1x0xgjx3]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342203718.732994.jpg[/attachment:1x0xgjx3]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342203718.732994.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342203718.732994.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,551

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If there is a wall (or tree branch, or ... ) nearby, then this thing can be fixed there using pipe support clamps, these allow easy height adjustments as well.

44.021_1.jpg

Great job! Sorry didn't get a chance to answer your question earlier, but looks like you didn't need my help. I also didn't glue as I didn't see the advantage as I'm giving up the ability to adjust if I need to.

geogecko said:
Well, couldn't wait for a reply. Decided to go with the original frame construction. Works really well just dry fit together, allows for adjustment if needed to get the proper angle desired on the skimmer. I also didn't need a counterweight, as I was able to slide it up next to the house and pool, and kind of wedge it in there. I was only able to make my frame a 20" square, but it seems stable enough. I also liked being able to use the end of the original bracket for depth adjustments.

[attachment=0:go56dpmm]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342203718.732994.jpg[/attachment:go56dpmm]

Not a problem! I think I might actually need to glue the 90 elbow and the vertical pipe that the skimmer is attached to, this seems like it has been loose a few times, maybe due to the initial suction when the pump turns on, but other than that, I don't think glue is necessary. It will also allow me to store it flat in my deck box when we take down the pool.

I have an Ultra frame pool. My skimmer basket does the same thing but I thought it had
something to do with the water level. I have broken 2 hooks in two years. Any suggestions for me since I don't have that balloon on the top.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.