Cartridge filter generating loud vibrating noise.

looper

May 6, 2010
My 2 year old pump (3rd pool season) has been acting up lately, including generating some real loud vibrating noises which force me to shut the pump down. It looks like it is still moving water around, but the pressure gauge is twitching rapidly, so I am guessing there is a major issue. This has happened 2-3 times before, and usually reseating/flipping the filter around seems to do the trick, but I am not sure what is actually causing it. I uploaded a video showing what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBoT_F2wLA

I am hoping it is not a cartridge issue, since I was told the cartridge for my filter is over $100. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks!

Yep, I verified no air was in the system (and the water is at about the same pace as it was before the noise started), I used the bleeder valve on top to make sure air was gone. Do you think it would make this kind of noise if one of the cartridge 'fins' was damaged/ripped? It really sounds like something vibrating really quick. I probably washed the filter around 10 times so far this season (with a garden hose/sprayer attachment), due to the excessive amount of pollen I had to deal with.

I have taken it out many times (for cleaning reasons), haven't found anything wrong. Not sure how I could reinstall it incorrectly, but it has to be something like that, since there isn't much to this filter, and I am out of ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I screw it all the way down until the handle latches click (and it pretty much stops moving after that). I guess I could try a lubricant for pool valve gaskets to make sure it seats properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.