Stock Liquidator Not Working. Not Too Surprised But...

arjaygee

LifeTime Supporter
May 6, 2011
Orange, California
I just installed my Liquidator. I've read rabbit's thread on the 3/8's line conversion but thought I'd first start off with the stock 1/4" setup just to see what I get. What I got was no reading on the flow meter... nota... zilch... I've included a picture of the system with the pump on, just for your amusement. The red arrow points to the water line in the outlet tube, which doesn't budge.

So, fine, I'll plan on following rabbit's 3/8" conversion recommendation but it bothers me that there is absolutely no flow on the outlet line. BTW, I'm using a threaded 1/4" barb fitting connected to the pump drain plug hole on the suction side. Anyway, now I'm wondering what the chances are of going through the 3/8" upgrade, only to discover that it's still not enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1991sm.jpg
    IMG_1991sm.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 199
I'd have skipped the check valves until you knew you needed them. Most people only need one, and they restrict flow. With what looks like a heater there, I'd expect you'd have enough pressure to run it. If you have the fittings or tubing length, try it without the check valves, at least without the one on the inlet side of the tank.

What's your normal pressure reading?

Normal pressure reading is 8-9 Psi, and about double that when in spa mode. Spa mode makes the flow ball dance around a bit but that's it.

Okay, I first removed the Outlet-side check valve, and in that process water from the pump basket had drained (naturally, since I had disconnected the line). So, when I connected the direct tube (i.e. no check valve), the flow meter was almost pegged, while working back towards equilibrium to fill the displaced water in the pump. While still flowing, I then turned the pump back on, and the flow meter pegged to max, and stayed there. I was pretty happy about that, until I turned the manual LQ valve 90 Deg., while playing with controlling flow. This naturally dropped flow back to 0 but then I could never get a flow again. :? :grrrr:

So, now I've got both check valves out of the system, and also replaced the barb fitting at the pump drain port to one of those quick disconnect tube fittings, to maximize the full 1/4" id. Still no flow.

Placing my 3/8" parts list order today. In the mean time, don't know if there's anything I've described that may trigger any other thoughts about my system.

More to come, and thanks for making this one of the most useful sites on the planet.

Well, I did the 3/8s conversion and still don't have flow on the outlet side of my LQ - ugh!!! BTW, my current setup does not have a check valve on the outlet side, so there's not much to obstruct flow. The outlet line is slightly collapsed, which tells me there's definitely some suction. Given this, I don't get why this line is not drawing flow from the tank, unless maybe the outlet valve in the tank is defective and not opening when filled. It's definitely filled.

Another thought I have is maybe there's still not enough suction on the outlet line. I'm using the drain port of my WhisperFlo, and am wondering if this is sufficient. If it's just water churning around the hole, I think the suction affect would not be as good as a steady flow passing across the hole. If true, then maybe it would be better to drill a hole in the line going into the pump (like the instructions say to do). Any thoughts on this?

Nothing happened when I partially closed the suction valve, which made no sense. So, I drained the tank below the Outlet float valve, removed the valve, and inspected it. What I found was that little white rubber seal was missing the backing that was supposed to hold it to the lever arm. Instead, that little rubber stopper was stuck against the outlet opening, thus blocking any flow. So I fastened this back on the lever arm with a little screw (see picture), put it all back together, turned the system on, and, and, and... YES, LITTLE BLACK BALL WAS PEGGED! Time to sit back and drink a cold one while my pool chlorinates itself.
:party:

Thanks for the help bama.

Attachments

• IMG_2002sm.jpg
    IMG_2002sm.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1999sm.jpg
    IMG_1999sm.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 130
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.