I'm new here also.

Hotrod30

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2007
Central New York
Hi all..... Well I’m not new to having a pool, but I am pool dumb.

I have a 20 x 40 in ground that is 25 years old. I put it in myself except for sanding and installing the liner. I am running a Hayward 1 ½ horse super pump and a S200 sand filter. In series with the sand filter I can valve in a Jacuzzi Splash Pac DE filter. All hoses and valves are 1 ½ inch. The pool has a bottom drain, 2 skimmers and 2 return lines. It is also plumbed for a pool cleaner that uses a booster pump. The liquid chlorine is injected into a return line via a Rolachem

The Hayward pump is being replaced next spring with a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Flow Pump. The Hayward was measured at 2075 watts (clean filter) and it runs 24/7. I have a timer wired up to the pump but let it run all day to keep the water from getting cloudy and for the chlorine injector. (I don’t think I filter enough water in 24 hours) That will be changed next year. I am going to replace the Hayward S200 sand filter (which is too small for the Pentair) with a sand filter that is bigger and has 2 inch ports. I will probably not use the DE filter. All the hoses in the pump house will be switched from 1 ½ to 2 inch.

So, the first two of my questions are:

On a top valved sand filter, when you replace the sand, how do you get the old sand out? Do you just use a small plastic bucket that fits thru the top hole and scope it out a little at a time?

Does anyone know of an on line store that sells hose fitting; 1 ½ and 2 inch size? I mean a large selection and also will sell 1 fitting at a time instead of a box of fifty?

Welcome! I think your filter has 2-piece tank. Remove the valve, then take the band off that holds the tank together and you should be able to get the old sand out easily.

I've had good luck getting fittings on eBay and poolcenter.com. I found another site a few months back, but I think it's bookmarked on my computer at work, so I can't help you with that until next week.

Hotrod,

Welcome to the forum. I'm with John........I think that filter is a two-piece tank......held together by twenty or so stainless bolts around it's midsection.

Try plumbing supplies as a "search" for PVC parts. I find lot's of places that will sell onesies and twosies but the shipping is frequently a killer. For small quantities, HD/Lowe's and/or local plumbing supply houses have been my best bet.

I'm not sure about that particular model, but the higher end Haywards often have a dual drain assembly where one piece comes off to drain the water for winterization, and the rest comes out to empty the sand. You just run a garden hose through the valve opening and flush out the sand.

Yeah, John's right. If you look near the bottom of that filter, you'll see a little black "knob" protruding about two inches out at roughly a 45 degreee angle. That assembly allows you to drain just water or water and sand.

Hotrod, welcome to TFP :!:

While John and Dave are correct about the sand drain on the bottom of the filter I find it much easier to use a shop- vac to remove the sand! The sand removal valve on the bottom of the filter is small and tends to clog up quickly/ often, then you have to remove the sand 'spit out' of it to make room for more sand. The shop- vac will allow you to go in from the top and take a canisterfull at a time to the place you're going to dump it (the canisters can get heavy from the sand/ water, so either only let the vac fill ~1/2 way or have someone there to help carry it :wink: ) The other problem is that the sand will tend to clog the hose if you try to suck up too much at once (shaking the hose will clear the clog).

When you replace the sand, I recommend (and so do some manufacturers) replacing the first ~1/4 of the sand with pea gravel, to help the flow around the laterals in the bottom of the filter, etc. Also, be sure to clean and inspect the laterals and replace any that are broken or suspect. When adding the new sand/ gravel and sand, fill the tank ~ 1/2 way with water before adding it (this will help protect the laterals from the force/ weight of the filter media) and be sure to cover the pipe that the multiport sits on so that none of it gets in there!

This is a quick primer on changing the sand, but should have some helpful info for you -- if you need more specific advice or have any questions on what I've said, simply post them here and I, and the others, will answer/ clarify :)

Again, welcome to Trouble Free Pool :goodjob:

hotrod.

hit this page.

http://www.toolsforpools.com/Lass_pgs/sand_vac.html

It's the goofiest thing and on the surface it does not seem worth $50 or look like it but it is the bomb. It will empty a tank in about 5 minutes. We dump it right to the ground and shovel the sand away. way better than a shop vac that you can't move or have to keep dumping.

The product has been around forever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A quick reply to my 'brothers in pool service' I had one of those in Va and it worked intermittently at best :roll: The venturi should do the job, but (either because I'm incompetent or ours was a piece of ******) I usually ended up using the shop vac or a scoop to remove the sand. Also, as Michael pointed out, the cost is a little high for someone changing 1 filter every 5 - 10+ years.

BTW (repair_guy and Michael) what do y'all think of the pea gravel (coarse material) surrounding the laterals?

{Sorry to everyone else for the 'shop talk' :wink: }

waste said:
A quick reply to my 'brothers in pool service' I had one of those in Va and it worked intermittently at best :roll: The venturi should do the job, but (either because I'm incompetent or ours was a piece of ******) I usually ended up using the shop vac or a scoop to remove the sand. Also, as Michael pointed out, the cost is a little high for someone changing 1 filter every 5 - 10+ years.

BTW (repair_guy and Michael) what do y'all think of the pea gravel (coarse material) surrounding the laterals?

{Sorry to everyone else for the 'shop talk' :wink: }
I'll put in my 2 cents about the pea gravel. It's a good idea which is why some manufacturers recommend it. It is just good filter construction technique. This way water flow is not restricted around the laterals with not only helps with filtering but also can make backwashing more efficient.Then again, those of you that know me know that I am very opinionated! :goodjob: :party:

BTW, Hotrod, welcome to the forum!!!!

Evan, Merry Chri.... um, Happy holidays :wink: It was your support on PF that enboldened me to reiterate the advice here! :-D

I hope you and your dog, cats, etc are well!! While I dearly miss the interaction we had on PF, this forum has a slightly different 'flavor' and we all seem to have found our 'niche' and thereby don't 'bump' into each other the way we all did on PF -- it's cool :!: As long as the people needing our advice get their answers, we've succeeded :goodjob: :party: :angel:

As always, I wish the best for you and all other TFP members, not only this season, but especially in 2008 :!: