Chemicals through skimmer problem

Jul 16, 2011
I have an intex ultra 18x52 pool with 1600 sand filter with an added salt water system. I am trying to add cyanuric acid. The instructions say to add through the skimmer. Unfortunetly on this pool there is a strainer where the hose of the skimmer attaches to the wall of the pool and all the cyanuric acid clogs up right there. Any suggestions or solutions on how to add this chemical to the pool.

gakawell said:
I have an intex ultra 18x52 pool with 1600 sand filter with an added salt water system. I am trying to add cyanuric acid. The instructions say to add through the skimmer. Unfortunetly on this pool there is a strainer where the hose of the skimmer attaches to the wall of the pool and all the cyanuric acid clogs up right there. Any suggestions or solutions on how to add this chemical to the pool.

If you want to add it to the skimmer you need to dilute it in bucket of water first then pour slowly into skimmer. You shouldn't clean or backwash filter for probably a week or so after adding the CYA to the skimmer as the CYA gets trapped in the filter media and dissolves slowly.

I have done it both ways (skimmer and sock), I prefer the sock, I tie it to the ladder and squeeze it a couple of times a day. Using the sock method you know when it is all dissolved.

Each method will work just fine if done properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.