HELP - Newbie

Jul 16, 2011
Ragley LA
My pool will be 5 yrs old this Aug. I always relied on pool place till this summer. I have spent so much on chemicals only to have the FC AT 0 & green algae on the bottom of my pool. It was very green all winter, then I put in the chemicals the pool people said & I thought that would be it. But it's either keeping green or I won't see any green maybe a week & then it's back.

I am totally new at testing my water & trying to do this myself. But I have to do something different. I fell like I've been putting money through a shredder, & I can't afford that.

I used Aquacheck strips to test. I will get one of the test kits suggested as soon as I can. Right now it's raining here. My pool water is crystal clear but again there's green algae on the bottom of the pool & on the ladder.

One more question, why is it dangerous to swim if the FC is a 0?

Thanks in advance!!!! Appreciate the help!!!!

Welcome to the forum :lol:

A pool with zero chlorine has no protection from bacteria that are easily transmitted. A pool with O chlorine is unsanitary and you CAN get sick from swimming in it.

I suggest you start by reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry up in Pool School. That'll get you some basic knowledge and probably prompt you to ask some more questions.

I will tell you up front that it is almost impossible to maintain a pool the way we teach and not have a good test kit.

Thanks for the welcome. I already read all the articles in getting started & pool chemistry, except water balance for SWG'S ( I didn't think I needed that one).

I will definitely get a kit. Is there nothing I can do right now before the kit, just to keep the pool from getting worse?

Is there nothing I can do right now before the kit, just to keep the pool from getting worse?

Yes. Lower your pH. Bring it down to around 7.4 using muriatic acid. The strips don't do too badly with pH.

Secondly, you can add 1 small jug of Clorox each evening until you get the FAS/DPD kit to accurately test chlorine. That will keep your pool reasonably sanitary and may actually start to kill some of the algae.

Bridget -- welcome! Ordering a test kit will be the best thing you ever did for your pool -- you will never regret that investment.

As to how to add the two chemicals, bleach and muriatic acid - wait for someone to answer that part of your question or add them separately. Pretty sure there are rules on not doing them together, but I've never had to use muriatic, so I've never gotten up to speed on that. But I seem to recall someone saying they don't even store them together . . .

It may look intimidating but actually it's very simple. Just follow the directions and you will be fine. I never had a day of chemistry in my life and I perform all my tests with the TF100. Got to say I luv, luv luv it!!

Hi Bridgetgirl and welcome to TFP!
This TF-100XL kit is great!
I'm a mechanic and was a little intimidated at first with mine.
Just like the OP said, follow directions on the lid, if you don't understand any part of them come back to your post here and ask. We all have been here before and this will be a smooth ride to getting your pool right.
This kit made me feel like the Dog Whisperer! :whip:
My pool did exactly what it was told to do!
I was in the same boat as you back in April, :cry: found this site and read for about 2 weeks and then knew that I had to do this with all of the success story's and the help here.
Best thing I ever did is to have the knowledge to do it myself. :whoot:
I do now suffer from Sparklypoolitis!
My pool is perfect all the time and now I don't even spend $20 a month on it (other than electric) 3 mins a day and brush and vacuum on the weekends. My pool is always screaming at us to come swimming every second!

Chuck

Attachments

• Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 57

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.