Zodiac MX8 or The Pool Cleaner???

Bobba

May 7, 2011
Okay, I have put this off as long as I can. My PoolVac Ultra is about dead and I have narrowed my choices to these two. I am leaning toward the MX8 because it looks like the more effective cleaner. Just watching the You Tube videos it picks up everything in its path where as the PooCleaner seemed to blow stuff around. The MX8 is advertised to climb/clean the walls where as the Pool Cleaner is not. The MX8 has a latched door vs having to remove 3 screws to clean out debris causing a jam. Finally, a set of treads for the MX8 are $14.00 vs $45.00 for tires (2 wheel model) for the Pool Cleaner. Other parts for the MX8 seem cheaper overall also. I realize the Pool Cleaner has been around longer and there is the unknown factor about the MX8. Any opinions,experiences would really be appreciated!!!

I don't have any experience with "the Pool Cleaner" but I can say we are very happy with the MX8.
I have not seen the videos of the Pool Cleaner in action, stirring up dirt, but I would say the MX8 does this to an extent also. It probably picks up 80-90% on each pass and stirrs a small "smoke cloud".
In our case we have had an abnormal amount of dirt in the pool, mostly from thunderstorms, during the construction phase.
The MX8 will definitely climb walls, in fact you have to be careful with the suction setting or it will get too much air. It took a little playing around with our cleaner line valve, but once I got the feel for how fast it should travel we don't need the suction gauge they provide.
So far ours has only been disabled two times, once by some long leaves and once by a rock, (from the concrete pour).

My only complaint is that the MX8 will not clean my steps but I doubt the Pool Cleaner could either.

P.S. the rebate program is a bit of a PITA but worth it for the $100.

b6zwhz.jpg

2mosbc0.jpg

Bobba said:
Okay, I have put this off as long as I can. My PoolVac Ultra is about dead and I have narrowed my choices to these two. I am leaning toward the MX8 because it looks like the more effective cleaner. Just watching the You Tube videos it picks up everything in its path where as the PooCleaner seemed to blow stuff around. The MX8 is advertised to climb/clean the walls where as the Pool Cleaner is not. The MX8 has a latched door vs having to remove 3 screws to clean out debris causing a jam. Finally, a set of treads for the MX8 are $14.00 vs $45.00 for tires (2 wheel model) for the Pool Cleaner. Other parts for the MX8 seem cheaper overall also. I realize the Pool Cleaner has been around longer and there is the unknown factor about the MX8. Any opinions,experiences would really be appreciated!!!

All I can say is it's been AWESOME for us! I LOVE IT! It will not do stairs, but I put that thing in there for about 2 1/2 hours and my pool is pretty much spotless, except for the stairs. I had the Barracuda G3 before, and that's the only one I've ever had before so my ONLY experience with pool cleaners are the MX8 or the G3, so my personal knowledge is extremely limited as to what else is out there. All I can tell you is the difference between the two is AMAZING! The G3 would do a fair job in 8 hours vs. 2 1/2 hours with a much better cleaning with the MX8. There may be a better one out there, but I'm very pleased with the MX8, and have recommended it to my colleagues in my office.

I certainly can't say it's the best cleaner out there, but it certainly does work for me in my 15K gallon pool.

JJ :cheers:

Okay, the score is 2 to 0 in favor of the MX8. Just another point I was considering is that since most local pool stores sell the MX8 (at inflated prices), parts would be available locally vs the Pool Cleaner. I stopped at Leslies to look at the MX8 and though they had a display model, I was told they would not have any until Aug.16. The whole time I was looking at the MX8 the guy was trying to talk me out of it! Looking across the aisle was the large disply area for Hayward replacement parts and at the back of the store the area where they rebuild the Haywards. If the MX8 performs well and replacement part levels are low and at reasonable cost, I suspect it could put a good size dent in their profits. I looked up pool cleaners on Craigslist and their must be 50 used Navigators/Pool Vacs for sale. It's kind of a shame that their business philosophy seems to gouge you on cheap plastic parts that wear relatively quickly then have a perpetual sale on the brand new ones.

Do these work for above ground pools also? Mine is a 27' round and in the ground around 2.5'.

I have had the mx8 for about 3 weeks now and it does a great job cleaning. Only complaint I haves that a piece of palm can get easily tangled in it and you will have to remove some screws to clear the jam. Also we have a asphault shingle roof and we get some of the sand /dirt material from the shingles and has started wearing away a groove on the ball that the fins are Atached to. I got lucky and found a new mx8 on craigslist for $150 so I really can't complain

I love my TPC. If you have a vinyl pool then you should know that the mx8 is not recommended for vinyl pools. Not sure where you saw treads for $45 - I've seen lower than that, mid 30s tops. More expensive yes but I haven't heard of anyone replacing them even after years of use. Have you searched the threads. Theres several on the mx8 and TPC and one vs the other. I think that TPC has fewer parts and better plastic as well as better made - reinforcement ribs, thickness of components etc. TPC can climb walls - I had to dial down my pump and play with the floats to keep mine from climbing to the top and sucking air and losing prime. I run mine for two hours a day and it cleans my entire pool vs. my old navigator for 4 hours. TPCs hoses are compatible with your Hayward leaf basket and hoses if you have any with some life left - just use them closer to the suction port with 4 or more lengths closest to TPC with the white ones that came with it; these are a bit more flexible. A local pool maintenance company's flier offered an option with a TPC rental as an add on to their monthly service for whatever that's worth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.