Can topping off affect FC Level

mynewpool said:
If I did the FC test and then filled up and topped off the pool, could this affect my FC level and drop it? I assume it can because I have tested my top off and it has not FC in it and 1-1.5 CC in it.

Thanks.
How long did you circulate before testing?

Possible testing error. Suggest you circulate some more and retest.

Butterfly said:
mynewpool said:
If I did the FC test and then filled up and topped off the pool, could this affect my FC level and drop it? I assume it can because I have tested my top off and it has not FC in it and 1-1.5 CC in it.

Thanks.
How long did you circulate before testing?

Possible testing error. Suggest you circulate some more and retest.

No error in testing. I tested last night and had an FC level of 3.5. I topped off the pool but did not test again. Pump was running all night and when I tested this morning to add bleach I got a result of 2.5. Typically I lose .5-0 overnight, usually 0 in most cases unless it was really windy or a lot of rain put dirt in the pool. So that is why I was asking. The person above me answered my question though.

Thanks.

Do a search on "chloramine" to see a recent discussion in post titled "pre-algaed water" or something like that.

The tap water is treated with chloramine rather than just chlorine, that is what appears as CC on the test of tap water. It is more stable than chlorine for muni water needs. So it comes with a mix of ammonia and chlorine from the tap, as chloramine. Chem Geek said, if I understood correctly, that the chloramine will consume some FC to eliminate the ammonia part. So, if you added rather a lot of tap water compared to the pool size, you might see that effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.