Repairing pool return

jlhaz

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2007
Hello,

How would I go about repairing a pool return. It looks like the plastic part of the return where it meets the liner of the pool is broken, which I believe is where I am leaking water (the dye test)

I tried some putty, put it doesn't seem to work, anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :cry: You will have to get behind the wall, which will either involve taking out part of the deck and digging, or tunneling under the deck to get to it. You'll need too have the water lower than the return, so that you don't flood yourself out and be able to get behind the liner. I'm not giving the whole story yet, but will if you'd like it :)

Any chance of plugging it for now? Ah, yes, you're in Arizona so are probably still enjoying the pool :colors: I'm here 'most every day, if you can describe your deck and where the return is, I can give a more descriptive answer (from the pic you had posted, I thought your pool was crete??)

I'll help as I can, I usually log on @ 10;00 AM {EST}

waste said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :cry: You will have to get behind the wall, which will either involve taking out part of the deck and digging, or tunneling under the deck to get to it. You'll need too have the water lower than the return, so that you don't flood yourself out and be able to get behind the liner. I'm not giving the whole story yet, but will if you'd like it :)

Any chance of plugging it for now? Ah, yes, you're in Arizona so are probably still enjoying the pool :colors: I'm here 'most every day, if you can describe your deck and where the return is, I can give a more descriptive answer (from the pic you had posted, I thought your pool was crete??)

I'll help as I can, I usually log on @ 10;00 AM {EST}

Oh brother...bad news huh? :( Yes, when you get a chance give me the whole story!

I called another leak company in and they couldn't find it so i'm trying to get some clues to try to get this fixed.

I could plug it for now, or just leave it alone as long as the water doesn't get too low. There is probably no way I can plug in permanently is there?

Where this return is, it's right below the decking so i'm sure it would have to be jackhammered :(

Oh no, I'm still not using the pool put here. It's been pretty cold (for AZ standards) at night, about 40 degrees only getting up till about 60-65 during the day! :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

If you have enough returns on the pool and the returns are all separate lines I would just eliminate that one for now. Can you post a picture of your equipment pad?

andy said:
If you have enough returns on the pool and the returns are all separate lines I would just eliminate that one for now. Can you post a picture of your equipment pad?

Yes I can, it'll be tomorrow afternoon because lately I've been going to work and coming home in the dark :) Tomorrow should be an early day. :)

Thanks!

Here is a picture of the return that doesn't pass the dye test & the equipment pad. I was able to catch it with just enough sunlight left:

Attachments

• IMAGE_00038.jpg
    IMAGE_00038.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAGE_00039.jpg
    IMAGE_00039.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 189
I can't tell from that picture if the returns are separate or not and if so do the branch off above ground or below?

How many return jets do you have?
For example if you have 3 jets, do you have separate lines coming from the equipment pad that feed each jet or is there just one return line going underground?

andy said:
I can't tell from that picture if the returns are separate or not and if so do the branch off above ground or below?

How many return jets do you have?
For example if you have 3 jets, do you have separate lines coming from the equipment pad that feed each jet or is there just one return line going underground?

I believe there are 3 returns on each side.

From looking at the equipment, I think there is just 1 return line :(

If you have 6 return jet you would have no problem eliminating one. But it sounds like they may be piped in series.(one return line feeding the first jet and "T" off from there to the next one and so on)

I have no idea how they plumb them in your area but that would be a "no no" in my area.

I supect you may have a manifold underground near the equipment pad, in which case you could dig down carefully near where the return line goes into the ground and find where it connects to the manifold that feeds all the separate jets. Then all you have to do is cap the broken line there and plug it at the pool.
If this is the case....while I had this area opened up, I would also pressure test all the lines.

I have one more idea if you don't know how the underground plumbing is run we could do to help figure it out.

andy said:
If you have 6 return jet you would have no problem eliminating one. But it sounds like they may be piped in series.(one return line feeding the first jet and "T" off from there to the next one and so on)

I have no idea how they plumb them in your area but that would be a "no no" in my area.

I supect you may have a manifold underground near the equipment pad, in which case you could dig down carefully near where the return line goes into the ground and find where it connects to the manifold that feeds all the separate jets. Then all you have to do is cap the broken line there and plug it at the pool.
If this is the case....while I had this area opened up, I would also pressure test all the lines.

I have one more idea if you don't know how the underground plumbing is run we could do to help figure it out.

Ok that would possibly explain why my grass is much longer near the equipment pad. I'm going to have to check it out

What else would you sugest?

Thanks a LOT!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There may be a better way to do this but this is what I'd do.
I would open up the return line to the pool, not sure if you have a capped or plugged spot to do that or cut the line and you'll have to couple it back together after your done.

Get some RV antifreeze and pour it into the return line(you can dye it darker if you want although I have always been able to see the pink fine) have someone else watching at the pool to see where it comes out first(which jet(s). Continue to do this and you should be able to figure out how the plumbing is done. If they are run one line in series the pink will come out the first jet then second and so on all the way around the pool. If it comes out more than one jet at a time or randomly out different jets and not in order than you know it's not in series **Only exception would be if they have a plumbing loop all the way around the pool which would equalize the pressure to all the jets. You could also check that by turning the pool on and feeling all the jets to see if they have the same pressure or if some have noticeable less pressure.

andy said:
There may be a better way to do this but this is what I'd do.
I would open up the return line to the pool, not sure if you have a capped or plugged spot to do that or cut the line and you'll have to couple it back together after your done.

Get some RV antifreeze and pour it into the return line(you can dye it darker if you want although I have always been able to see the pink fine) have someone else watching at the pool to see where it comes out first(which jet(s). Continue to do this and you should be able to figure out how the plumbing is done. If they are run one line in series the pink will come out the first jet then second and so on all the way around the pool. If it comes out more than one jet at a time or randomly out different jets and not in order than you know it's not in series **Only exception would be if they have a plumbing loop all the way around the pool which would equalize the pressure to all the jets. You could also check that by turning the pool on and feeling all the jets to see if they have the same pressure or if some have noticeable less pressure.

Thanks very much!

I'm going to give these things a try. I'll definitely keep everyone updated on my progress.

Thanks again for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.