Stabilizers

gtkamo

Jun 18, 2011
Have received mixed messages on adding stabilizer to pool...ie...in the skimmer...never in the skimmer...

I have bucket Nava Stabilizer

Can I dissolve in bucket of water then add to pool? Then how long should I wait to test CYA?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pre-dissolving CYA is more or less hopeless, it takes forever to dissolve.

Wait a week after adding CYA before testing the CYA level again.

There are several ways to add CYA, each has advantages and disadvantages. I recommend putting the CYA in a sock or stocking and hanging that in front of the return jet. You can also put the sock/stocking in the skimmer as long as it won't completely block the skimmer.

I use the sock method. Just put it in a sock or nylon and hang it in front of the return. I squish it several times during the day to get it in the water faster. I've noticed the stabilzer I get from walmart disolves fairly quickly if I'm squishing. I usually wait about 5-7 days to test it, but dose like it's already in there.

If you pour directly into the skimmer you need to not backwash or clean the filter for a week. You also run a small chance of causing damage if you pour the CYA in too quickly and block all of the water flow.

The sock in the skimmer still needs to not clean/backwash the filter for a week, but avoids any damage risk.

Hanging in front of the return avoids both issues, but takes a little longer to dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.