Numbers off, pool clear, in what order to I add these things

Here are my numbers:

FC .5
ph 2.8
TA 140
CYA 0....gets a little cloudy when I do the black dot test but doesn't go away.

I'm superchlorinating now. (I think I have a cell issue even though it's been inspected because we are on 80 and run the pump 24 hours a day).

So, the pool calculator says to add this.
45 oz bleach
25 oz of muriatic acid
96 oz of stabilizer

So, in what order do I do this?
Still learning here.... and it's going to be record heat this week which means I'm going to be battling more chlorine loss I'm sure.
Thanks for any help!!

Re: Numbers off, pool clear, in what order to I add these th

I sure hope your PH isn't 2.8, that would be really really bad. PH is normally something between 6 and 9.

You need to get your CYA level up. With really low CYA you are constantly losing all of your chlorine to sunlight, far faster than the SWG can replace it. The recommended CYA level for use with a SWG is between 70 and 80. I suggest that you don't go all the way up to there in one step, as it is much simpler to add more if you are too low than it is to lower the CYA level is you accidentally go too high. Add enough CYA to raise the level by about 55, wait a week for that to mix in and then test again and adjust from there.

This evening, after the daytime sun is off the pool, you should manually add chlorine to shock level, around and FC of 12, given your CYA level.

Where do I find "safe" levels to swim

I've always been told that if the water is clear and/or you can at least see the drain, it's safe to swim...is this true or are there certain levels I should be aware of for swimming?
(I tried to look in Pool School, but wasn't sure where it would be.)
See my other post, the water is clear, but I have no CYA and extremely low chlorine.

Thanks!

Re: Where do I find "safe" levels to swim

The basic criteria for swimming are:

FC between the minimum and shock level for your CYA level
PH between 7.2 and 8.0
Clear water
No visible algae or obvious organic contamination (a few leaves, sticks, etc are fine)

Re: Where do I find "safe" levels to swim

You should try to keep all posts in one spot. That's not accurate at all and bad advice. Follow the levels in pool school and ensure you cab pass the overnight FC loss test and you'll have properly sanitized and balanced pool water, safe for swimming.

Kimmisue said:
Sorry dman.... didn't mean to break the rules.... :(

No need to be sorry and certainly not :whip: ...Just makes it easier for us to follow one's complete set of issues :goodjob:

Okay, thanks....and while I have your attention.... I had an algae problem a few weeks ago, does algae eat CYA? Is that what would have caused me to lose it? It's not been registering since so I probably should have added it after the algae was cleared up, right? I was just afraid it was in there but not registering.

Kimmisue said:
Okay, thanks....and while I have your attention.... I had an algae problem a few weeks ago, does algae eat CYA? Is that what would have caused me to lose it? It's not been registering since so I probably should have added it after the algae was cleared up, right? I was just afraid it was in there but not registering.
Well, there is a bacteria that eats CYA, or you could have lost it due to backwashing.
But however you may have lost it, it needs to be raised :)

Also check the ingredients on your CYA package that it is close to 100% cyanuric acid. WallyWorld CYA is a fav around here.

As Jason suggested, shoot for adding 55ppm CYA.....and, bring the pool to shock level of 12 for tonight using bleach/liquid chlorine :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

got 100% CYA adding it now using the sock in front of the jet....will add chlorine tonight. I'm guessing it is okay to swim when adding CYA? I know my numbers aren't great (and I'm superchlorinating right now) but it's gonna be 90 degrees today and it will be very hard to keep my family out of a clear pool. :)

Yep, okay to swim while adding CYA, but make sure you FC levels are above the minimum and below shock level. :wink:

See swimming criteria Jason listed earlier for more details. Have fun! :)

You can add liquid bleach to get FC up to range, you don't have to wait on the cell to do it. Pour in slowly at a return, circulate 30 min and you can swim.

I wouldn't necessarily shock but I'd raise the FC to the top of the recommended range for the CYA you've added. Then tonight I'd run the OCLT just to be sure. Be sure to turn off the swcg when running it.

Now I'm not holding chlorine at all. It's very hot here with heat indexes over 100 so I'm hoping it's because of that. Tested this morning and I have no chlorine even with SWG on superchlorinate yesterday and overnight. Ph is 7.5 didn't test anything else. Added 8 lbs of CYA on Sunday. Going to add liquid chlorine just to bring levels up to swim today. Is this a losing battle in this heat?

Bama Rambler said:
Sounds like you need to shock, but post a set of test results.

Yup..you should do an overnight FC loss test too :goodjob:

The heat does not help, but it's not the heat alone.

Remember, shocking is a process, not a one time addition of a product with the word "shock" printed on it. He will have to go through the whole process, not just "do it tonight". It might be better for him to do daily chlorine additions until you get back...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.