Not sure if there may be an issue or not.

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
My filter typically runs at a pressure of around 14 on the gauge. It hardly ever climbs because I don't have much in the way of debris that makes its way into the pool. Today I noticed that the pressure is sitting at 12 or slightly under. I had a heavy swimmer load of kids and I wasn't home. They were supervised but I have know way of knowing if something got sucked down in to the floor drain. I checked the skimmer and all was well there. I did notice a couple pieces of plastic (looked like sliced cheese wrappers) floating in the pool that I netted out. I didn't notice anything lodged on the outside of the drain when I was brushing earlier, but I'm going to go look again just to make sure.

Would something lodged in the floor drain affect the pressure by making it go down or up at the filter? I would think that a blockage on the suction side would have a lowering affect, but I'm not sure. It may be nothing, but might be useful info to have for future reference none the less.

I'm not sure what your setup is like, but they have have moved valves, or played with the diverter in the skimmer. I'd check that first; I can get a 2 or 3 psi difference depending on where I set my valves: spa vs pool.

Then if you still think you have something in the drain, shut everything off, set things to pull from main drain, and try stuffing a hose in your pump strainer inlet and backwash it.

I went out and inspected my pump basket a bit closer and noticed there was some debris so I shut of the pump and pulled out the basket. Quite a bit of grass that was bleached out the color of the basket was caught in the creases of the basket. I removed all of the debris and put everything back together and all is well with the world.

As far as them moving things goes, the handles on both my skimmer and floor drain valves are broke off so it requires a wrench to turn them. I was pretty sure that didn't happen, but thanks for the tip. :)

Another point you made was about the diverter on the skimmer. Is that the flap on the front (pool wall) that hinges up and down? Mine never moves out of the down position. Should it?

joshs2000ss said:
Another point you made was about the diverter on the skimmer. Is that the flap on the front (pool wall) that hinges up and down? Mine never moves out of the down position. Should it?
No. The flap between the skimmer and the actual pool is called the weir. It should move. It acts as sort of a check valve, surface trash will get washed in when the door drops, then get trapped when the door floats back up.

If you have a separate valve for your drain, you have no diverter. Don't need it. If you have two holes in the skimmer beneath the basket, you do. Just depends how it was plumbed.

I have a separate valve for the drain but they join before entering the pump. I noticed today that there is a second hole under the skimmer basket that has a plug in it. Not sure what that is. It wasn't removed when the pool was opened. I'll try to get a pic of it. There is no other piping or valve that would indicate that this is another functional part of the pool.

My weir doesn't float. I guess I should look into that next.

joshs2000ss said:
I have a separate valve for the drain but they join before entering the pump. I noticed today that there is a second hole under the skimmer basket that has a plug in it. Not sure what that is. It wasn't removed when the pool was opened. I'll try to get a pic of it. There is no other piping or valve that would indicate that this is another functional part of the pool.

My weir doesn't float. I guess I should look into that next.
Don't take the plug out. It's obviously unused, and will just cause a massive leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.