Refilling pool after draining?

Jul 15, 2011
We're draining our pool with a submersible pump, but we're not sure what to do after draining. There will be a little water left in the pool. It's dirty and has algae in it. Should we refill the pool on top of the water and then go ahead and balance/shock the pool with algaecide and what not? Or should we try to kill the algae before refilling the pool? We have a salt water system. What would the steps be after draining?

sorry if this is in the wrong category :x

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Why are you draining the pool?
Do you have HIGH CYA?
Do you have HIGH Salt?

If it is because of the algae, you can just treat the current water and it will clear up.
If it is because of HIGH CYA, Salt or both, then a drain and refill would be best. You may not need to drain the whole pool though.

:cheers:

Getting all the water out is the best, but if you can't you can refill and then use bleach/liquid chlorine to shock it and clear it up.

You can also add bleach to what water is left and brush it around to kill the algae and then fill it up and run the pump/filter to filter it out. That way you won't have to shock once you get it filled, you can just keep chlorine in it.

Thanks, I think I'm going to put bleach into the little water that's left to kill the algae. Can I use regular bleach to do that? And how much? There's only about a foot of water left in the pool, but there are leaves and algae on the bottom and surface. This is our first time opening the pool for the season so we're new to this.

We drained the pool because our cover blew off and we didn't have the time to maintain it, the water was cloudy and it eventually got so bad that we couldn't see the bottom. The pool company here said to just drain it.

If this helps, my pool is 24 ft and 52 inches deep

You need to scoop as much of the debris out as you possibly can.
Add 1 quart and brush it around really well. After an hour add another quart and brush it around. Keep doing that until you've used a large (182oz) jug. Yes, you use just regular bleach. I buy a lot of Great Value at Walmart.

You also need to get a good test kit so you can maintain the pool. There's a link in my sig to the best one.

You have the best advice you can get! :whoot:
Get a TF-100 test kit. This is the tool you need to be the boss of your pool and save lots of $$ over the course of time! Have you ever heard of the slogan "Pay me less now or pay me more later"?
This kit will prove this statement is very true.
Now that my pool was refilled and cleaned up after a year of being "Pool Stored" (spending way too much at the store from them telling me to add this, now use this, and blah, blah, blah).
My pool is perfect all the time due to doing this the TFP way using BBB method I only spend about $18-$20 a month, NO MORE! (+ whatever electric cost to run the pump) That's less than a $1 a day! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.