are drops of R-0871 smaller than drops of R-0003?

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
some time ago i ran out of R-0871 reagent. i bought a 2oz bottle of R-0871, opened the dropper on my original 0.75oz bottle and poured some of the fresh reagent in.

now it appears to me that the drop size is smaller coming from R-0871 that R-0003. i don't know if it was like that before of if removal of the dropper and re-installation messed it.

can someone take a look next time you do the fas-dpd test? smaller size of the drops would result in artificially higher readings and i don't want to run on lower chlorine levels.

thank you!

The drops should all be the same size from all of the reagent bottles. The liquids are slightly different and it is possible for them to look a little different even though they are the same size, but that effect should be small.

Wipe the dropper tip with a damp tissue. Static electric buildup on the tip can affect drop size.

i do remove the static build up first, so that's not the issue. different liquids have different surface tension, so that might mike difference.

i wonder if i squeezed the channel in the dropper a little bit. i will try to replace it with the one that came with 2oz bottle. that one also might be squeezed since i had to remove it to move the reagent.

duraleigh said:
opened the dropper on my original 0.75oz bottle and poured some of the fresh reagent in.
Just a little confusing. Are you saying the original dropper tip is still on the R-0871 and now the drops are smaller?

i ran out of reagent in original 0.75 oz bottle from my taylor 2006 kit. i bought a new 2oz bottle with a dropper tip. i moved some reagent from 2 oz bottle into original 0.75 oz bottle so it would fit into the kit box. to move the reagent i removed the tips from both bottles and set the old tip back to 0.75oz bottle which i currently use. the drops coming from it seem to be smaller ..

If it is the same dropper tip and you put R-0871 in the bottle, regardless of the source, what possibly could make the drops now smaller? Are you thinking the R-0871 varies in viscosity? It doesn't.

Dave,

I think when i was trying to get the dropper tip out of the bottle, i managed to squeeze the central channel in the dropper and it didn't spring back (my theory). i tried both bottles and drops are visibly different in size and so are the results. maybe the droppers were slightly different to begin with, maybe not.

i adjust my results when using the bottle with a smaller drops. not a big deal.

If you follow the instructions and allow for the drops to come out slow and kind of hang there before falling, all drops should be the same regardless of the size of the channel in the tip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.