Clean up after a storm

sirena

Jul 15, 2011
I need help! After a huge storm 10 days ago, several days of high winds, and a thunderstorm with rain, my pool is a disaster. I brush the walls and sweep the bottom daily, and backwash the filter at least once a day. I keep adding bleach to 'shock it' but nothing seems to change. Current readings are:

FC - 3
TC - 2
pH - 7.6
TA - 110
CH - 280
CYA - 35

What am I not doing, should be doing, or doing wrong?

Appreciate any advice!

How are you measuring your levels? It isn't possible to have TC of 2 and FC of 3, since TC=FC+CC.

Read the advice above, and go through the shock process. You are going to need to be able to accurately measure high FC levels, therefore the question on how you are getting your numbers.

I've read "how to shock your pool". I've also entred info in "The Pool Calculator". I'm using the Talor K-2006 Test Kit. I've added 10.5 gals of liquid chlorine/bleach in the past 36 hours. It sounds obsurd, I know but, when testing the FC, I can actually see the color decreasing as I'm taking the reading.

As you do the FAS-DPD test, you add drops of the 871 to the powder/pool water solution, swirling as you go, until clear. It will slowly get more and more pale as you add drops, this is normal. Add drops until COMPLETELY clear, no tinge of pink at all. Divide the number of drops in half, and that is your FC level. Next you add the 5 drops of R-0003, then add the drops of 871 again until clear again. Divide that number in half, and that's your CC level. I think this might be what you posted as your TC level. If so, a CC of 2 means you certainly need to continue the shock process.

This thread may help you with the test kit.
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Wow, now I'm realy confused - I don't have 871 drops. What is happening is, after adding 5 drops of each reactor R-0001 & R-0002 to the 9ml of pool water, I attempt to match the color and take a reading (FC, I believe) and while doing so, the color of the sample is getting lighter. So, when adding R-0003 the color (TC) doesn't increase enough to be higher than FC. Am I missing something? And it's not my marbles! ;)

Are you sure you have the K-2006 and not the K-2005? The K-2005 has a plastic unit with two square tubes at each end, one for Cl and Br, one for pH. You put 5 drops of R-0001, shake, then 5 drops of R-0002, then compare the color to the graduated color guide next to the tube.

I have one of those too, I use it on a daily basis. I've never seen what you describe occur. Hopefully someone that has will chime in.

You can get the FAS-DPD test pieces for just FC from http://tftestkits.net and you really need the FAS-DPD test for shocking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yours doesn't look like this? This is Leslie's version of the K2005.

IMG_0961.jpg

If you have a FAS/DPD, you should have a couple of items that look like this. Your R-0871 may not be this large, but the label should read the same.

IMG_0962.jpg

OK, my leslie's doesn't have it! So you should have some 871 and 870 in there. You can follow the directions in the link I posted earlier.
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Make sure you do the FAS/DPD test!

Thank goodness, I thought I was going crazy, or stupid, or something! Is it possible to purchase these products locally? That way I can pick it up on the way home from work.

Thank you so much for all your help and time... much appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.