Tap Water Test and New Pool Going In

Morning All,

My pool build should be complete within a week and I wanted to get started immediately on some of the fundamentals of water chemistry. I have read and re-read pool school several times and believe I have a grasp of the basics and wanted to get some advice on starting off on the right foot.

I broke out my TF-100 this morning and tested my tap water which will also be used to fill the pool next week (we have city water here) just to get used to the tests:

PH --7.2
CL--1

I also checked the Pool Calculator and saw that to raise my initial CYA level to 70 in the Chlorine/CYA chart for a SWG and Vinyl 28K gallon pool that I would need to add 262 oz of CYA or a little over 16lbs.

My question is the best method to do that and the time frame I should shoot for....

1. I had read about the sock method but with that much CYA having to go in, do I use 2 socks and fill them both with just over 8 lbs of CYA? (Not sure if this is even a reasonable assumption as I haven't tried filling a sock yet)

2. Simply continue to squeeze the sock(s) every hr or so to assist in dissolving the CYA?

3. Will it be safe for the family to swim while this much CYA is dissolving?

Appreciate any assistance and feedback and TY in advance.

I think that I was able to stuff about 4lbs into each of my socks when I dosed up my CYA level at opening this year. So you may need 4 sockfulls to get it all in.

Yes, squeeze the socks as often as possible to speed up the process. Near the end of the process you'll find that quite a bit comes out each time you squeeze.

I'm not aware of any issues with swimming while the CYA is dissolving. Heck, you'll be swimming in it all year long after it's dissolved.

You can dissolve CYA using the sock method. You'll just have to use more socks and the process will take longer. You can also boost your CYA fairly quickly and without socks by using dichlor to chlorinate.

As long as you have the water sanitized with the proper amount of chlorine, you can swim while the CYA is dissolving.

Here's what I would do. Given that this is a new fill I would slowly pour the amount of CYA required to get ot 60 ppm in the skimmer and let it dissolve in the filter. Since there's little possibility of having to clean the filter, it's safe to do that. Then I'd use Dichlor as suggested by 257 to maintain FC until the swcg can take over and the CYA is dissolved. You'll need about 24 to 36 hours after putting salt in before starting the swcg so you figure on having to manually chlorinating the first few days and that should get you up about 70 ppm CYA with Dichlor.

Since you have the TF-100 already run the rest of the tests on your fill water and post the results.

New to the TF-100 kit so hoping someone can clarify for me....performed the TA test and returned the following on my tap water:

TA 30

Was using the speed stir while performing this test and the sample did turn a very light but solid red after the 2nd drop. Not sure if I should have stopped there or go onto the 3rd drop which produced a brighter red color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.