4 HP versus 3/4 HP...worth 150.00?

Chelle

May 12, 2011
South West, MO
Just a quick question...I have a standard issue 3/4 HP pump. There is a [supposedly] brand new Waterway Executive 4 HP pump on CL for $150.00, http://springfield.craigslist.org/for/2461195720.html , Would the upgrade in HP help my pool filter better? Also, since I am on the forum, I have only 300# of Zeobrite in my 600# filter per the pool store recommendation. Is that normal?
My filter does work as is, but the skimmer isn't very effective and the jets arent as strong as some others I have seen. BUT, I do not want the drain to suck anyone down or eat my hair either!!
What do you all think?

I think our Pentair VS 3050 is a 3HP pump and we really like that we can filter the pool pretty quickly with it. Also, the VS feature allows this single pump to run our solar heater, deck jets, and the newly installed slide all at the same time with no noticable difference in flow. Our pool is new, so we have the improved safety drains and I've checked the suction on them (using snorkel gear) and can't feel anything at the bottom drains that seems like it would be a safety hazard to anyone from suction. What it does do is pull debris to the skimmer quickly. I can mow the back yard (which covers the pool with clippings because we always seem to have a breeze here) and before I finish the front yard, most of the clippings are in the skimmer. I generally have to dump the skimmer 2-3 times during mowing. This is a good thing to me though since the increased flow is allowing the skimmer to trap all of the debris before it can sink to the bottom. If this pump is variable speed, then you can fine tune it to whatever works best for your pool. Another consideration is electrical cost. We do not always run our pump at a high RPM either, but for about 8 hours each day it is programmed for about 2800 RPM. At night it runs at about 1000 RPM just to circulate. Perhaps someone out there can offer you something more sound than simply my limited experience.

That this pump has never been used is highly suspect from the picture. It looks like it has seen some weather if not use. 3/4hp does seem a bit on the weak side for a pool of your size. I would think probably a 1.5 hp would be more appropriate. But a 4hp seems excessive to me and you would definitely notice an increase in your electricity bill. It's supposedly a 2-speed, so that might help. $150 is certainly tempting though, but it's not a brand I'm familiar with so it might be hard to source parts when needed.

For what its worth, I have a 1hp Waterway and parts are not a problem. At least one retail store here carries them and there is a wholesale warehouse here that also has them. If time is not a factor they can be ordered online.

While a 3/4 hp might be a tad small, a 4 hp is going to be way too big. A 1 hp full rated or 1½ hp uprated would be the size I'd look for.

I'd also add the full charge of sand to the filter. Why have that nice large filter and then not utilize it?

Thanks for all the advice.
Bama, can I add just filter sand to top off that filter? or does it all need to be Zeobrite? or remove the Zeobrite and go with all sand? or something else entirely? Is there some form of a 'giant cotton ball' that goes in a pool filter, like my fish tank filter has, to filter out teeny tiny stuff?

:thequeen: ~Chelle

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.