Why are my test results so different than the pool store?

MLock

Jul 5, 2011
Indianapolis
I bought a Taylor K-2006 based on recommendations here. However, the results I'm seeing are wildly different than what I got at Leslies... and I'm wondering if that's normal or if maybe I'm doing something wrong. Examples:

pH: Leslie's: 7.1 Me: 7.4
TA: Leslie's: 110 Me: 180
CYA: Leslie's: 40 Me: off the charts high (not even approaching the 100 marker on my tube)

Hints? Guesses?

Re: Why are my test results so different than the pool store

It is frighteningly common for pool store test results to be wildly wrong. I'd bet on your test results over theirs every time. That doesn't mean I'm certain that you didn't make any mistakes, just that the odds to them making mistakes are higher than the odds of you making mistakes. Trust your own testing and things will turn out better in the long run.

On the TA test, you might want to do the test again, but this time wipe the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp tissue every couple of drops. Sometimes static electricity builds up on the top which can throw off the results.

It is normal to question your test results when your test results differ from the results of the “experts”. However, was your “expert” a high school kid that has never maintained a pool? Did your “expert” use a test strip which cannot provide an accurate test?

Watch these videos for how to test with the Taylor K-2006 test kit. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... deshow.asp
Read this description on how to conduct the CYA test: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

You may now know more about accurate testing than the “expert” that you talked to at Leslie's.

The color match pH test will provide you with good results to maintain your pool.
The CYA test requires a learning curve to be comfortable with your result. I generally do the test twice with the same solution. If I see the black dot disappear +-5 then I accept my result.

Remember you are trying to maintain your pool water; you do not need scientific accuracy. Soon your results will be much better than the hurried results from a pool store. I have not been in a pool store for 3 years.

I was just about to post the same thing...

I'm finally getting around to the Liquid Chlorinator. I cleaned the filter and the LQ today. Then I took a baseline test.

pH - 7.7
FC - 1-2 with the yellow drops
FC - 3.5 with the drop test
CC - 0 with the drop test
CYA - 75 ish

I went to pool store #1 to pick up some Chlorine

Her hand results were

FC - 2
pH - 7.6 - 7.7

The computer results:

FC - 1
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
CYA - 48
Alch - 76
Adjusted Alch - 62
Hardness - 286
TDS - 800

Based on that she wanted me to add a bunch of Balance Pak 100 to raise the Alch and 2 pts of Acid to counterbalance the pH.

I had to return some empty HASA bottles to another store. The guy didn't give me any numbers, but told me to add about 2 pts of Acid (he doesn't have ANY idea on the size of my pool) and he wanted some more Chlorine because of the time of the year... He did the CYA test in a little white tube with a cane. He said he came up with a little over 75. He also is not a fan of Liquid Chlorine, he thinks I'll need to add a bunch of acid to the pool every couple weeks.

The only result that concerns me is my CYA. If it really is up at 75 then I don't have enough FC

I would trust your results and up the FC to match.

Using liquid for chlorination is basically a pH neutral event. It raises it a little when you add it but lowers it a little when it gets used up so basically neutral. I use liquid exclusively and have to add about a cup of acid every month or two.

So I stopped by another pool store today :?

I'm not sure what to think about this...

Here are the results of 3 tests over a couple daysPool.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ignore their tests.
Your water looks good, increase calcium just a bit. You c could use cal-hypo for chlorine if you have it. It is a good value in Leslies Power Powder Pro in the 90 lb bucket. Keep FC in range for your CYA. Not sure why you note such a large range on your test.

On your TF-100 FC test was that 6 drops or 12 drops?

If you look at just the difference between the pool stores you see that they can't even agree on the numbers. Trust your own tests.

Yea, it's pretty funny that their numbers are so different. The BioGuard Store has a computer tester, the Leslie Store was almost all by hand.

Thats 12 drops, FC of 6.

Is there a reason the Yellow Drops chlorine test is only showing 2-3?

Why are my test results so different than the pool store
Because your TF100 test results, done properly, are correct.

Don't waste your time or energy double-checking with the pool store. Their tests are designed to sell chemicals.
There are some posts around here somewhere that discuss the non-accuracy of different pool store test systems. Maybe someone can dig them up.

The TF100 is designed to put YOU in control of your pool. Use it, trust it,(as so many of us do) and be happy that you have it! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Are you testing w/the 25ml sample or the 10ml sample?

If you're using the 25ml sample, each drop is .2ppm. The 10ml sample, each drop .5ppm.

Just wanted to double check. It could explain the difference the OTO test is showing.

Nightmare said:
Yea, it's pretty funny that their numbers are so different. The BioGuard Store has a computer tester, the Leslie Store was almost all by hand.

Thats 12 drops, FC of 6.

Is there a reason the Yellow Drops chlorine test is only showing 2-3?

I find that the OTO test is best at deciding if you have some chlorine, vs having no chlorine. I cannot tell the difference between 2 and 3 or 3 and 5. Once you get way above 5, you can tell that you are way above 5, but not where.

Notice that pool store tests indicated that you need more chlorine than what your tests indicated, I'm sure they would have been more than happy to sell it to you (wink wink, nudge nudge).

I wonder how often someone goes into a pool store with water levels at normal, and the pool guy tests it and says "ya your good, you don't need to add anything. Next."

Tests will vary store to store. Some are drop tests, some are strips.

The bigger chains use a strip test that is read by a computer. These tests are usually the most inaccurate from what I've seen. They give you a print out that tells you have 1.57ppm of chlorine and 83.5 TA and a CYA of 55.6ppm. What really annoys me is all those precise numbers make the tests look very accurate when they are in fact often times off by 50% or more.

When I first got my TF100 I would take my water to the local chain store twice a month. Over 6 months they never ever got my CH CYA or TA correct. Chlorine and PH were occasionally close.

Most of the time I've noticed the pool store speed through all the tests and am almost 100% confident that they don't quite get the level of measuring and accuracy that an owner would to to test...

Yea, the Leslie guy tried to sell PhosFree or something like that.

The BioGuard Store uses the computer test strip machine and they also hand test pH and Chlorine.
The Leslie Store used all hand testing, there was one test strip for something. He also has the machine that spins the water with the magnet. His CYA test was the white tube with the candycane.

None of the stores I visted were taking the time to get exactly 10ml or 25ml of water. They all just threw some water into the tube and ran the test.

I wonder how many people the pool store says "you need 8 lbs of X" or "1 quart of Y" without ever knowing the size of the pool. I'm betting they would tell someone with a 8,000 gallon above ground pool the same quantity they'd tell me for my pool.

I've been really tempted to take a sample from my pool, my water's been dead on perfect for months. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.