Intex 2100 Sand Filter

Jul 12, 2011
Okay. I finally got my Intex sand filter setup after a sand nightmare.
One of the local pool stores sold me "Filter sand" or at least they said it was. It wasn't marked on the bag anywhere and i ended up taking their word for it.
So I basically ended up with ~10lbs of sand in the pool.

Basically my I am just concerned. I have the filter running and I have seen some videos of people with the 2100 and 2650 sand filters on their pools and you can see the flow very strong on the top of the pool. On my pool I don't see much flow on the surface even with the nozzle aimed up to the surface.

I am wondering if there is some reason my pump isn't pumping much or if its fine and I'm just paranoid.

Filter Pressure is half way in the green mark ~5psi. - Both plunger valves are open and locked and none of the inlets/outlets are clogged as far as i can tell.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The 2100 and the 2650 is the same pump. 2100 is min flow and 2650 is max flow.

How much sand did you put in the filter?

I know the filter actually holds less sand than what it says it holds. Try backwashing the filter until the water is clean coming out of the back wash port. You may see sand coming out and that is ok. Once the water is clear you should be good to go. After the backwash make sure you run the filter on rinse for a few seconds to settle the sand back down in the filter.

:cheers:

I put it just above the half-way mark between min-max.

And i did about 2 minutes of backwashing and realize i need a longer hose so i dont flood my yard when i do that again....
I did the rinse also for a couple of seconds.

I hooked the skimmer basket back up to the intake and while the output back into the pool doesnt show much more flow than before, the skimmer is pulling a LOT more water in now than it used to.

I guess I am just being paranoid, it just seems like a lot less flow than some of the youtube videos i have seen.

The flow with your pump is not right. Could you post some pictures or video that shows how you have everything hooked up? What is the pressure reading when the filter is running? Post a picture of the pressure reading to if possible.

Ok here are the two pictures.
I also put a video up of the flow just going straight into the pool, not through the plunger valve.

I have tried to run it in recirculate to bypass the filter to see if that was the problem with no difference. I unplugged the skimmer to check that also and nothing seems to change it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RKMQjg7ivY

Oh and ignore the water on the ground. The drain cap came cracked so the drain leaks a bit (waiting on a replacement cap)

Attachments

• 2011-07-15_08-02-29_772.jpg
    2011-07-15_08-02-29_772.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 2011-07-15_08-02-43_499.jpg
    2011-07-15_08-02-43_499.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 291
From what I can see in the pictures everything is hooked up correctly.

Are you talking about the drain cap on the bottom of the filter?
When you run the pump does water spray out of the cap?
Does the water coming out of the return go thru the entire return fitting or just thru the center movable ball?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea, the clear parts are there, but only cover roughly half of the holes on the outer part.

Also is it normal for the plunger on the return to shake? it kind of vibrates around when the pump is on

I'm not sure about the plunger valve vibrating except that it may just be loose.

The next thing I would try is take the plunger valve off of the pool and connect the hose directly to the pool fitting. Do this on the suction side also. This will help eliminate any possible restrictions you may have. The valves and hoses are a little restricting so now I think is is just trial and error.

Tried that and still didnt change it at all.

Going to try to bypass the 6 way valve and just go straight from Pool -> pump -> pool, and if its still weak there it might be something wrong with the pump.

Talked to Intex this afternoon, the lady I talked with said it had a 2yr warranty.
But she said that I should give it a few days to see if it gets better or worsens.

And if it worsens just call back and she will open a claim and send me a new motor once i fax receipt.

OsiViper said:
Talked to Intex this afternoon, the lady I talked with said it had a 2yr warranty.
But she said that I should give it a few days to see if it gets better or worsens.

And if it worsens just call back and she will open a claim and send me a new motor once i fax receipt.

good news! let us know how it turns out.

Well yesterday morning the pump just stopped pumping.. the motor was spinning buthehere was no flow. I checked all the valves and checked for a clog but nothing there. I looked in pump with it running. The looks like the impeller became detached from the motor.

Called Intex and told them and they sent out a replacement pump that same day and told me to keep the broken one for parts if I need them.

So far I am really impressed with Intex's customer support.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Hello folks,
I don't know if I should create a new post for this or not, but I have a question about the 2100 pump. My wife is out of town and picking up the Intex 2100 GPH sand filter pump. From what I read in this post, this is the same as the 2650 pump? I was under the impression that the 2650 was a new, upgraded pump. If not, is it a 2-speed pump? Thanks in advance for any advice.
GC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.