MinimaxNT wont work with new vari speed pump

Feb 15, 2011
I have installed a Hayward Variable speed Eco Star pump. Since my installation, I have had a problem getting the MinimaxNT heater to run. The local gas repair person has installed a new pressure switch, which temporarily solved the problem. The heater starts up, and runs until the vari speed stops to adjust its programmed speed. At this time, the heater shuts down and will not restart, unless the pressure switch is "jumped". I am wondering if anyone has had experience with lower flow heater issues due to vari speed pumps? The pool next door has the identical pump, with no heater issues, even at very low RPM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

A few of quick questions and maybe we can help.
Does the pump actually stop then go to the programmed speed, or does it just go from one speed to the next?
Do you have to physically "jumper" the switch to get the heater to restart?
What is your filter pressure at the start and porgrammed speeds?

Thank you for the reply.
The pumps stops very briefly, then starts up on the next programmed speed. I currently have the pump set up so that the RPM is not less than 1750. I am jockeying back and forth between 1750 and 2850, just until I can figure the heater out.

The filter is a Cartridge, and the pressure runs between 15-25 psi depending on the RPM.

I also trimmed the return valves back a touch, to ensure that I had enough pressure for the heater on one occasion as part of my troubleshooting.

The pressure switch has to be physically jumped, even at the higher RPM setting. Once I have it running, I can turn the heater on and off using the temperature feature or toggle switch.As soon as there is a stoppage in flow, or if the hydro is turned off at the breaker panel, I have to jump the switch to restart.

Everything seems to point to the pressure switch, even though it was just replaced. Do you suppose the heater issue is totally a heater problem, and just a coincidence that I have a new vari speed pump?

Thank you
Rick

I think it's strictly a heater problem. I thought the variable speed pumps went straight from one speed to the next without a pause in between. :scratch: Maybe not. If it stops completely that would stop the heater and since your having to jump the switch to get it to start back.
I think the problem is in the board in the heater.

Some may pause, or stair step between speeds.

A heater pressure switch only needs 1-3 psi to activate so unless you filters are really dirty, you shouldnt have any issues closing the pressure switch. It sounds to me like you need a new pressure switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.