what problems come from low Total Alkalinity? Any?

20GT

May 24, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I posted this question because i could not find a answer on the Board

I've been told by TFP not to worry about low Total Alkalinity :)
On the WWW it says otherwise :( can some set me straight on this?

this is what i found :

PROBLEMS RESULTING FROM LOW ALKALINITY: If the Alkalinity of your pool is too low, these problems will occur:

* Dissolved metallic parts of your pool (walls, floor, hand rails, ladders, light fixtures, and equipment). This could even lead to discolored water or stains on the pool walls and floor.
* Stained and etched concrete in concrete pools.
* Stained and etched plaster in gunite or shotcrete pools.
* Stained liner in vinyl-liner pools.
* Blistering or delamination of fiberglass in fiberglass pools.
* "pH Bounce." Alkalinity acts as a buffer for pH. If the Alkalinity is low, the pH will fluctuate dramatically. Yesterday, it may have been 7.0, and today it may be 7.8, and tomorrow it may be 6.8-it can change from one extreme to the next, literally overnight.
* Minimizes the effectiveness of chlorine (or its alternative).
* Eye and skin irritation.

Thanks
Pasted from <http://www.poolmanual.com/manual/alkalinity.html>

20GT said:
I posted this question because i could not find a answer on the Board

I've been told by TFP not to worry about low Total Alkalinity :)
On the WWW it says otherwise :( can some set me straight on this?

Nobody here told you not to worry about low TA. It can cause pH instability.

20GT said:
Ah found it thanks
vinyl with Bleach

FC 3-7
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 50-300
CYA 30-50
And here are/were your #'s:
FC = 10 ,TC = 10 ,pH = 7.4 ,TA = 110 ,CH = 160 ,CYA = 50 (7-10-11)

So your TA is okay, a touch high (definitely not low) and if the pH remains stable it is fine where it is, your CH is just fine, and phosphates in a properly chlorinated pool don't matter. ie, JasonLion's pool is over 4,000 (I think that's close to correct) & he has no problems.

We/I saw where the pool store tried to pool store your wife (in that link) and we just tried to clear it up for you.

It is not a good idea to put your test numbers in your sig. The sig is for mostly permanent information. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That "don't worry" was in response to your post immediately above that reported TA 100 and CH 160. Both in range for vinyl.

If you mean to ask if you should EVER worry about them, read Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.