How can I tell what kind of Filter we have?

I would suggest getting a new pressure gauge, preferably a liquid filled one. Backwash the filter as well as you can (turn that valve 180 degrees and turn on the pump until the waste water is clear), and afterwards, mark the pressure on the gauge when its filtering normally. This is your clean pressure. Backwash it when the pressure rises to 8-10psi above the clean pressure. Sand filters are very low maintenance.

Of course, this is all assuming that your sand is in decent shape. I'm not sure how you would diagnose the quality of your sand though. You replace the sand every 5 or so years I believe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to take the multiport valve off. Which isn't easy in your case. You'll have to cut the piping. If I were going to do it, I'd cut it in the middle of runs and add unions back so next time it'd b much easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.