How does a toddler affect what I need to do?

jenlop

Jul 4, 2011
Central Connecticut
I've seen a couple of posts about non-potty trained kids and it got me wondering if that affects what levels I need to keep my pool at. I have 2 young children. One is potty trained (and will ask to get out of the pool if she needs to go), but the other is only 16 months and obviously not potty trained. We use swim diapers on her, but do I need to do anything different? (Other than just recognizing that I may use more chlorine?)

This may not be the official healthy method, but I wouldn't be too concerned about protecting the pool from your own child. You are virtually guaranteed to already have been exposed to any disease they might have.

That doesn't mean to ignore sanitation, just that there aren't the serious risks of swimming with strangers.

When my young grandchildren swim, I test the pool to make sure the chlorine is where it's supposed to be before they get there, run my pump an extra 3-4 hours to add extra chlorine that evening, and then test in the morning before work. Normal chlorine levels will take care of anything that happens as long as they stay normal and don't drop due to contaminants. One toddler isn't likely to require any extra chlorine, but I do watch a little closer.

If kids outside may family swim, that's when I make an effort to raise the FC before they arrive and then punch it back up after they leave.

FWIW... swim diapers are made so they don't swell up and burst into swimming pools. They do not absorb much of anything but rather keep the solid waste contained till they can be changed.

If you have a home pool, you may go broke on swim diapers. If you have cloth diapers and wraps, those are just as good as swim diapers. It would be relatively cheap to buy a pack of cloth diapers and one or two good wraps (pro-wrap iirc is sold commercially, relatively cheap or check yard sales. Works very well) and dry them in the sun after swimming. If you wanted that is...

Good to know. I have most of a package of swim diapers left over from last summer, which we've only used one of (for the kiddie pool I broke down and bought, since the girls haven't been able to swim.) I'll definitely keep that in mind though. I have a few cloth diapers that I used to use as burp cloths, so it sounds like if I grab a couple of covers I'd be in good shape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.