Getting the pool up late this year But... here we go :)

Jul 12, 2011
It is filling as I type. It always takes a while because we have NO water pressure on our well.

Now to my question. I want to do SOMETHING around it.. some sort of landscaping or something. Its so Blah right now! It is an intex, 15 X48, I am hoping to upgrade next year so I will be needing room to "grow" Any Ideas are welcome!

Its cold here in the winter so i would need Ideas that allow for the pool to come back down.

PrincessTiefling said:
It is filling as I type. It always takes a while because we have NO water pressure on our well.

Now to my question. I want to do SOMETHING around it.. some sort of landscaping or something. Its so Blah right now! It is an intex, 15 X48, I am hoping to upgrade next year so I will be needing room to "grow" Any Ideas are welcome!

Its cold here in the winter so i would need Ideas that allow for the pool to come back down.
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Post some pictures of you yard and pool so we could get a better idea of what you are wanting to do.

:cheers:

Summer2011009-1.jpg

Summer2011008.jpg

Summer2011007.jpg

As you can see its leaning! But we are hoping it will be ok for the rest of the summer. I want to move it next summer into what used to be the dog run, but the problem is there that power lines come into the house on that side and DH worries about shock from any splash, does anyone know if that would be an issue?
The dog run is the first photo!

Oh, I should add, we live in Spokane washington.. so there is no doubt it has to come down lol. Stays below freezing for months... what I really want one day is an in ground with an aqua shield or somethin so it can be used all year long :)

Hi, I would very much encourage you to stop filling now, and level the pool, straighten the legs, etc.

The crooked legs will create stress on the rails, the tees could break. The legs that are not level will/could do the same. The fuller the pool gets, the harder it will be to correct the legs.

We used wood, about 1/2" thick under the legs, and I can tell you from experience that lifting those legs once the water is all in is near impossible. We had to straighten a few about 1/4" or less and it was not easy at all. I would not want to have to adjust them like you will need to.

The plastic pegs that hold them together will also be strained, and they do break. We've got two that have broken so far and the pool and legs are very plumb.

edit: ok, I looked at the pics again and I also have to caution that the level of the pool also may be an issue. Did you do any leveling of the ground before you set it up? What materials did you use as a base if so? And if not... how horrible would it be to drain and start over with a properly leveled base?

Also, insofar as landscaping... I would personally fold that tarp over so that it doesn't protrude outside of the pool area. That will dress it up quite a bit. Again, requires draining, leveling, and refilling if you can stand to do the extra work.

You could dig down for the ones that are too high, and possibly pack some dirt under the ones that are too low. You can attempt to lift and slide the legs plumb that are crooked, but it won't be easy.

Is the well that low? Could you ask the fire department if they will come fill the pool for you?

I really would not want to try to fix this without draining, leveling the area (remove rocks, add sand, tamp level, and perhaps get one of those foam pads made for pools), and then refilling.

You can use a long board to flatten and level the sand/dirt (swing with one person holding the center and scrape it flat), and feet will work to tamp but you have to be careful cuz the sand will settle and you may end up with divots in the pool floor. A tamper is a better option actually.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How full is it? do you have a couple bottle jacks and some scrap lumber? It might be possible to get the legs straightend. I wouldn't try putting stuff under the low ones, the bottom of the pool could rip out, but you could dig out the high ones until they are level with the low ones. It could end in disaster though.

Thanks all for your help. . :) What I ended up doing was getting out the old 12 X2 and siphoning the water from the big pool to the smaller one on a more level area.. I just dont have the flat area here for the big one. Im going to take down the big one and get someone to come level and do a sand pad/leveling someting for next year!

Our well is always low.
I have not drained it but fear to risk it LOL

It's really not so difficult to level an area that size, just use a flat shovel to remove the sod and the rest is picking rocks and perhaps sifting, board swinging for level (set a level on the board, swing from center, move material, down rather than building up), then adding sand and perhaps a pad if you want. Takes a day maybe... less if you start early :~}

Fire department in some places will fill the pool for you. You might want to check into that.

DH is talking about leveling this weekend when hes home. Hoping it works the easy set is good for the kids.. Not so much for the whole family. I am just thinking we should start and just re do the pool next year since there is really only a few more good swiming weeks left

I talked to DH more tonight, we are going to level what we can tomorrow, mostly dig down what is taller and see if that will be a fix for the rest of this year :)

And yea it stays warm here through august, but right now we are only in the low 70's so the water is uber cold even with the solar covers. :)

Oh I hear you... won't be above 76 this week... perhaps not ever. ARGH! Still hopeful though.

It'll come. You know it always does. Love my home... wouldn't trade it for anywhere I've ever been...

It can get a little frustrating though. All we ask is a few weeks of sun! Give! NOW!

and then we will complain... lol

1. Definitely level that site a bit.
2. Personally I would not locate a pool beneath any electric line, if you live within a municipality there's a good chance there is a by-law against it (there is where I live)
3. The leveling in our site was 1' wider than the actual pool, I filled it in with cedar chips and I think it looks nice, it's a simple and cheap landscaping solution. You could make the wood chip area larger on one side of the pool and plant some small perennials in there, small shrubs, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.