DIY pool kit question - opinions welcomed

EJohnson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2011
Out of curiosity, I've recently been looking at the do-it-yourself inground kits available from different sellers on the 'net (i.e. like from Nationalpoolwholesalers, though I wouldn't necessarily buy from them in particular). This might be a project I would consider doing in the next year or two.

Has anyone here purchased and installed one of these kits themselves? Just going by their video, the install doesn't look that complicated in terms of skills needed (i.e. wiring, plumbing, excavation, and concrete work) - in theory, it would allow us to install a much larger pool than we otherwise would be able to afford due to the fact that we can do almost all the work ourselves.

I was just wondering about the downside, i.e. if the kits are worth the price in terms of materials used and whether the kits would have longevitiy issues with the liners, walls, etc. I'm sure the kit filters and pumps are probably lower end, which would be a strike against unless I could find a kit which would allow me to buy without and add my own choices. Additionally, would polymer or steel walls be better in such a kit? Obviously, the polymer won't rust or corrode but I wonder whether it would have the strength of a kit using steel walls. There would also be the issue of liner replacement - down the road, how hard would it be to obtain a replacement liner when it becomes necessary?

Any and all opinions welcomed.

I'm just finishing up my DIY build. I did everything except the electric, and that would have been easy in comparison to the rest.

No, it isn't all that complicated. It is a massive undertaking in the amount of work involved, though. Yes, you can get a larger pool with the incremental amount of work.

As for quality, the kits are no different in quality than what the pros are putting in. Same walls, liners, pumps, filters, etc. Any decent dealer will allow you to upgrade whatever you feel is needed. By doing it yourself you can be sure of the quality of the products going in and know that someone else didn't throw in some junk just to save a nickel.

I used poly walls and there were no issues with strength. They're very thick and well constructed.

You can get a liner made for any dimensions you can think, so nothing to worry about there.

Ok, that is kind of what I was hoping would turn out to be the case. I'd definitely want to do a saltwater pool installation as I've dealt with one the last few years and really like them a lot. One of the pluses we have is that we live in a very rural area, so we don't have quite as many of the onerous building codes and regulations that you city folks have to deal with....

I think next time my brother is home I'll run the idea past him and see if he wants to try it - he is one of those people who can literally build anything from a house to a steel mill, and he is very good at it (much better than me, anyway -- he worked his way up from a simple construction hand to being a new construction superintendent with a major construction company). Probably not a project for this year, but maybe in the next year or two if he is interested and I can work out the financing.

MajorDIYer said:
I'm just finishing up my DIY build. I did everything except the electric, and that would have been easy in comparison to the rest.

No, it isn't all that complicated. It is a massive undertaking in the amount of work involved, though. Yes, you can get a larger pool with the incremental amount of work.

As for quality, the kits are no different in quality than what the pros are putting in. Same walls, liners, pumps, filters, etc. Any decent dealer will allow you to upgrade whatever you feel is needed. By doing it yourself you can be sure of the quality of the products going in and know that someone else didn't throw in some junk just to save a nickel.

I used poly walls and there were no issues with strength. They're very thick and well constructed.

You can get a liner made for any dimensions you can think, so nothing to worry about there.

Sorry if I am hijacking the post but I would like to ask some questions about DIY pool. I was shopping around and proposed local PBs to build the pool but I will do number of tasks myself like neccesary paperwork/inspection, all equipment, all electical etc. Basically I want PB to dig the hole, put walls, put plumbing, liner, power subdeck for pavers, provide safety covert and that is it.
So far I am getting 33 to 36K quotes.
I am concidering to do DIY, but would like to hear from folks already did that what cost I should benchmarking to. Planning double roman end 40x20.

Sorry if I am hijacking the post but I would like to ask some questions about DIY pool. I was shopping around and proposed local PBs to build the pool but I will do number of tasks myself like neccesary paperwork/inspection, all equipment, all electical etc. Basically I want PB to dig the hole, put walls, put plumbing, liner, power subdeck for pavers, provide safety covert and that is it.
So far I am getting 33 to 36K quotes.
I am concidering to do DIY, but would like to hear from folks already did that what cost I should benchmarking to. Planning double roman end 40x20.

Judging from the pool supplier manuals and videos, I originally thought I could build our pool in about a month. It's 4 1/2 months later and we're still not completely finished. Another DIYer, Deer hunter, built his beautiful pool in 10 days, (which is exceptional for first timers!).
I would say do not underestimate what a good PB brings with him in experience and quality. Having references on good subcontractors alone is worth quite a bit in the big scheme of things. There will be weather delays, family obligations, and of course your normal job. Unless you can do a great deal of the work you can't save a great deal of money. With some of the work comes lessons, (mistakes).

Don't get me wrong I would do it all over again but it was just not nearly as easy as I had thought. My family and I have put in hundreds of hours building our DIY pool, (most of it with shovels in hand).
We built something that we probably wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford, not to mention the pride of the sweat equity.

I actually don't think your bids are too high. From what you've said, my recommendation to you is to try and find a reputable PB that will work with you on the things you can do and let him handle the rest.

If you do decide to DIY, at least you have the experience support network here at TFP.
Without the great advice gleaned here, I would not have attempted ours.

Here is a breakdown on what we have spent on our build, but everyone's costs will vary greatly.

18x36 deer creek steel wall kit price...............................................................7300
Swap steps for Spa/step swim out and add air jets................................................200
Add one swim out spa/steps with air jets.........................................................1600
AquaPlus saltwater generator and P4 control panel...............................................1050
2 ColorLogic LED lights w/ niches..................................................................1200
Upgrade to 300# sand filter and 2 speed 1 1/2 hp pump...........................................50
Add second skimmer..................................................................................100
Add auto fill system (with backflow preventer, spigot and misc plumbing)...................250
2" plumbing w/ valves (w/ many trips to Lowes).................................................500
Electrical wiring and Circuit breakers from house main panel to pool sub
panel, wiring to pump, lights, convenience outlets, bonding wires, etc,.....................500

Total of major components and supplies..............................................................................12,750

Excavation equipment rental and labor............................................................1000
Vermiculite floor installation labor and liner install...............................................1000
Sand, #57 stone, vermiculite..........................................................................500
Concrete collar and equip pad w/ labor.............................................................750
Backfill equip rental and prep for concrete decking...............................................500
1200 sf concrete (18 yds, 6" thick)..................................................................1500
Concrete finishing labor (w/ custom expansion joints)...........................................2000
Total hired labor and concrete, materials, etc.........................................................................7250

Water, trucked in (incl extra lost w/ liner replacement)..........................................950
Landscape; sod, crimson stone, plants, etc..........................................................600
2 post lamps, wiring and add gfci breaker...........................................................450
Volleyball net and balls...................................................................................50
Add gate and deck rail modifications to existing fence............................................500
Alarms for house doors...................................................................................50
TF100 test kit w/speed stir and extra chemicals....................................................100
MX-8 pool cleaner.......................................................................................300

Total misc expences,.......................................................................................................3000

Our grand total.....................................................................................................................23k
(As you can see the pool kit cost was only about 1/3 our total).

ve3qe8.jpg

We are looking for a DIY inground pool kit and welcome any suggestions for manufacturers, retailers, etc. we were looking at NationalPoolWholesalers.com, but started hearing some not-so-great stuff about them. I have been looking online, but there are so many choices, it is a bit overwhelming. Welcome any recommendations/warnings about specific manufacturers/retailers that anyone has to share. Thanks!

Cdacunha said:
We are looking for a DIY inground pool kit and welcome any suggestions for manufacturers, retailers, etc. we were looking at NationalPoolWholesalers.com, but started hearing some not-so-great stuff about them. I have been looking online, but there are so many choices, it is a bit overwhelming. Welcome any recommendations/warnings about specific manufacturers/retailers that anyone has to share. Thanks!

I am using poolproducts.com .. while ive not gotten my kit yet, the presale service has been great. I contacted many retailers of kits and poolproducts.com was one of the few that would answer an email and answer it in a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.