White Water Mold (?)

Jul 13, 2011
Austin, TX
I have a 15,000 gallon salt water pool. Like many salt water pool owners, I struggle with pH levels, but maintain a good levels of chlorine (2-4 depending on the time of year). CYA, TA are good, and by all appearances, the water is crystal clear.

My pool has an attached spa that has a waterfall from it into the pool. The pool pump runs 12 hours per day, and return flow is split between the pool and the spa.

Over the past few weeks, I've been noticing a white, mucus growing in a hidden corner of the spa seat and next to one of the drains in the floor. After some basic research, I thought it may be WWM. I put a pound of shock into the spa, and ran it by itself for a few hours, then pumped all the water into the pool draining the spa, hit the spots with acid then liquid chlorine, then filled it back up. Next day, it was back again.

Whatever it is, it is very resilient.

Two questions:
1. Does this sound like WWM? Local pool supply stores here have never heard of it (I live in Austin, TX). They too have tested all levels of chemistry and say. "looks great!".
2. Any known treatments for whatever it is?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to TFP!!

If your fc and cc levels are 'in check' I'd recommend brushing those areas ~daily to expose them to the abundant fc, It wouldn't hurt to shock the pool to black algae levels, to really kill it and then just brush those areas regularly.

Others will chime in, but we need a full set of test results to truly diagnose your pool. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.