Too much debris!!!

Jul 13, 2011
New member. Don't know if this is the right forum but I think its a related topic.

I live in NorCal and I have several scrub oak trees near my pool. The leaves from the oak drift into my pool causing a lot of floating leaves which if not skimmed up in a few hours, sink to the bottom of my in ground pool. If it is not a windy day, usually a manual skim with a net is all that is needed. If it is a windy day, well its just way too much for my skimmer and Polaris to handle.

I only have one skimmer in the pool and I don't know what I can do to make it more efficient. If it was "superpowered" then the debris on the bottom of the pool would be quite minimal. The leaves are quite boyant and don't sink for several hours. Unfortunately I work 12 hour shifts so by the time i get home the leaves that the skimmer doesn't get are on the bottom.

I have considered pool cover but frankly I think those are ugly. Maybe a not so fine netting but I don't know where to get some in the dimensions that I would need (pool is about 16x35). Alternately is there something on the market that works as a second skimmer?

Open to all ideas. BTW thanks for all the good info on this site. It has made pool ownership quite easy.

61DGZkEj1tL._SS500_.jpg

Try a pool skim, hooks up to a return and acts like a second skimmer...

The first thing you should do is make sure your eyeball is aimed correctly. It takes a good bit of fiddling with to get it right sometimes. Then there's the poolskim, which has been getting some very good reviews on here.

ETA - Circle-D beat me to it, but that's the one.

Bama Rambler said:
The first thing you should do is make sure your eyeball is aimed correctly. It takes a good bit of fiddling with to get it right sometimes. Then there's the poolskim, which has been getting some very good reviews on here.

ETA - Circle-D beat me to it, but that's the one.

Uh eyeball? Whats that?

Also I don't think the pool skim will work since my returns are in my hot tub and the water flows down via gravity into my pool. But thanks for the idea.
I guess I could modify the skimmer to work off a submersible pump. I think I have a 50gpm pond pump laying around in my garage maybe I could cobble together something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.