Hello from Alabama

Jul 12, 2011
Birmingham
Hi everyone, :wave:
SO glad I ran into TFP while searching out SWG. Spent yesterday just reading and becoming familiar with you - and THANKS for making this available.
I have an above ground pool, using baquacil but want to change to SWG and learned some valuable info here about conversion tactics here. My pool is only 7,600 gal (have to confirm for sure) and can't really invest in a real expensive SWG system.
Does anyone have the Intex SWG? Any suggestions for a good but affordable SWG? Thanks!!

Welcome to TFP

A lot of people here use the Intex swg. With a Baq pool your size, depending on your water costs, I'd almost suggest draining and refilling then doing the baq conversion. Tell us more about your equipment and location and we can give you specific advice.

Thanks so much for your reply! I agree with you. Draining and refilling would be my best option. I have my pool specifications filed away and will pull all that out this weekend to add to my profile. I'm still in the tutorial phase ;)
Also glad to know a lot of people use the Intex. I also have a paper filter system and want to convert back to sand filter. The paper ones are truly high maintenance. Perhaps because of the Baq....
I'll be back on here when I get all my pool info. Look forward to being part of the team. :) Thanks again.

Okay, I believe I have updated my info on the profile, adding my pool specs. I'm not sure of the gallons of water capacity though. Truly a beginner.
Checked my water this morning and again, it is cloudy. Baq is history as far as I'm concerned. Have spent a lot of money this summer without any good results. I've decided to drain the pool, purchase a new filter and start all over with chlorine - converting to swg........
Next summer, I will invest in a sand filter. Can someone give me their opinions on these paper filters? I for one don't think they're nearly as good.

Your pool holds about 7,000 gallons.
Can you get any info on the cartridge filter? If you can get us some info we can give you some advice about it.

Cartridge filters, as a rule, are good filters. However, if yours is too small or something else is wrong, they can be a pain.

Even though you're draining and refilling you will still need to go through the baq conversion process. It will be much simpler and quicker than a full conversion but there will still be a little of it in the plumbing and filter that'll have to be cleared out. Read through the Pool School article about converting and you'll be ready to get it done.

Thanks. I m ust admit, I've been treating it like a 7,900 gallon pool which may be why the water is cloudy :hammer:

The filter system is ProClean PC CF-200 with a filtration area of 200 (got that off the pump itself). And it's actually 2HP not 1.5 as I originally thought.
The cartridge is Waterway 817-0200P. It's one of the larger ones, 4" hole in center and approx 3' tall. I take it out to rinse it almost every other day. When I vacum the pool and pool up debri like dead little bugs, i notice they come right back out of the outtake. The filter catches a few but not as many as it should. Perhaps the cartridge is a cheap replacement because I do notice the folds are not as tight as the original Waterway :blah:
Thanks for all your help....it is opening my eyes to a lot of things

That filter should be plenty big for that pool. More than plenty big.

If you're seeing debris bypass the filter back into the pool there's something wrong with the filter.
There should be a pressure gauge on the filter. Can you tell us what it reads after you clean the filter? Also make sure it goes to zero when you turn the pump off.

Had to work yesterday but got a look at the pressure gauge on the filter after cleaning. On the low pump setting, the gauge reads 5. On the high setting it jumps to 15. Upon turning it off, it sits on 0. It seems to be working but I think you are right......the filter is not the orig Waterway filter and maybe a cheap replacement. As mentioned, the pleats are not as tight. (?) It's the old saying "you get what you pay for"

As soon as my company leaves, I plan to drain everything and start with the conversion to salt. I will take your advice on the conversion and see where it goes. I'm also investing in a sand filter....I just miss that ability to backwash and forget about it.......rather than having to take everything apart to wash the cartridge. So.....in short, I'm going to give my pool a "face lift" :)

I'll keep you posted and thank you so much for your help.