Beginner with questions that are probably already answered

Jul 11, 2011
We have a intex 18x42" easy set pool with an intex 633t 2500gph pump. It uses the "B" filters. I also have the skimmer basket installed. We are using HTH 1 inch chlorine tabs in a pool floater and we fill it to the top with tabs. We also use the HTH "shock n swim" shock bags probably once a week.

We originally had the intex 635t 1500gpg pump and it was defective so we bought the 633t and it is WORLDS better. Anyway, so far the only issues ware facing are sand on the bottom of the pool and cloudy water. I bought the Aqua Broom and it is supposed to show up today so I will advise on how well that works.

I hear a lot of people on here talking about using bleach to shock the pool, would that be better then using the HTH stuff? So far I havn't been very impressed with the HTH shock as it leaves residue on the bottom of the pool. If so how much should bleach should I use? Whats the best way to use it?

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Re: Beginner with questions that are probably already answer

Welcome Jake.
Most information can be found up top under the Pool School section. It's a good read and you can learn quite a bit.
Bleach/liquid chlorine seems to be the standard and easiest method to maintain their chlorine levels (unless they are using a salt water chlorine generator). You just dump it into the water so it circulates around. As for the amount, your going to need to get a test kit so you can monitor your levels.

If your using this as a seasonal pool, which i believe you are, check this out.
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

Thanks for the help although Im having a bit of trouble with the calculator. Im plugging in my pool volume, 4814 gallons, and it isnt' changing any of the values.

After you plug in your gallons, go to the corresponding product you want to calculate. Put in the numbers that relate to your pool as it is now in the first box and the number that you want it to be (target) in the second box and then hit 'calculate' at the top.

You will need to fill in the values based on your test results.

First set your pool size in gallons which you seem to have done.

Then say your FC is currently at 1 and you need it to be at 5.
You put 1 in the Now box, and 5 in the target box and the calculator will tell you how much _% bleach to add.
Same goes for the others.

No. The chlorine will get consumed eventually. You do not have to drain.

And for now as long as you're using the pucks, take all but 2 or 3 out or stop using them completely (preferred). It only takes a few, you don't need to fill it to the top. (although it very well may be good that you did, at least you don't have a green pool)

We'll need to know the CYA level, the strips are notoriously inaccurate for CYA so don't trust them. Having all that tri-chlor in the pool, your level is NOT 0 for sure but you won't know what it is until you run a proper test for CYA.

How long has the floater been in the pool like you describe? It isn't really possible to guess CYA right now since you haven't any way to know how many pucks have completely dissolved but I believe that for every 10ppm chlorine from pucks, you'll see 6ppm rise in CYA. So if you've been over 10ppm for x amount of days, assume ~4-6ppm CYA per day for the calculator for now. It'll get you started at least, till you can get a good test kit and find out what's really going on.

When you get to pool school, read... multiple times. It'll make so much more sense after you do that.

If you need a quick set of numbers, go ahead and run a sample up to the pool store.
It's not the most accurate but it will give you an idea where your at until you get your own test kit.

Just don't let them sell you anything.

We've had our floater in the pool since day 1 which was about a month ago. We originally had the intex 635 pump and I guess its defective because it didn't pump hardly any water at all. now that we have the 633 we are getting a tremendous amount of circulation which has really helped. right now the floater has probably 15 dime sized pucks in it as they have dissolved considerably. Honestly I shouldn't complain all that much as the water is really really clear. I just notice a slight cloudiness to the water and Im sure its because Im the one that focuses on it the most. I just want that Crystal Clear water that you find at the neighbors house in there in ground pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.