Vinyl pool renovation problems....

Jul 12, 2011
....had two seperate contractors look at my inground vinyl pool today. The pool itself is probably between 20 and 30 years old, the liner is about seven years old. The fiberglass steps are chipping badly. Contractor #1 suggested I replace the liner, remove the fiberglass steps and replace with decking, install steps in the corner that the new vinyl would cover. We also talked about a salt water filter, new diving board and a good cover. This totaled 12K. The second contractor came out and said right off the bat that behind my vinyl was plywood and 2 x 4's and that at some point, probably within a few years, the 2 x 4's would rot and could not be replaced.. He absolutely would not replace the steps. He said his recomendation was replacing the vinyl, and that was about it. other than discussing the option of removing the pool totally. Total cost about $3500. My question is why such a massive difference (both contractors were highly recomended), and also, why could the 2 x 4's not be able to be replaced?

Thanks for any help, and if I need to clarify or follow up, please let me know.

Welcome to TFP!

Not sure why the 2x4s could not be replaced. The only way to know what lies underneath the liner and what needs to be fixed is by removing the liner. 7 years is a while for a liner and it's probably tiume for a new one. You'll know more once the liner is out.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

Not sure why the 2x4s could not be replaced. The only way to know what lies underneath the liner and what needs to be fixed is by removing the liner. 7 years is a while for a liner and it's probably tiume for a new one. You'll know more once the liner is out.

Thank you very much....can't wait to continue reading and learning. We've been in this home for seven years, but i'm just now catching up on how to properly care for my pool. The wife and I are very excited to renovate the pool are (with a new wood deck, landscaping, etc) and hearing that it's a lost cause was really tough. So what to do? Google and research. :-D

In researching, I can find nowhere that says the wood CAN'T be replaced, although I can't find many places that mention it at all. Any idea how much it would cost, worst case scenario, to replace the wood with polymer siding?

I can't imagine why you couldn't replace the wood and/or the framing (2x4's). It's just plywood paneling on 2x4 framing.
The plywood and framing they use on those are rated for direct ground burial so they're not your typical treated lumber you buy at the local big box stores. I don't know why the one said they'd rot in a few years. As 257 said, the only way to know is to tear into it and see what's bad. Maybe nothing and a new liner and steps are all that's needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.