Outdoor Shower- Do I need it?

Green1340

LifeTime Supporter
We are currently waiting on the tile installers so I have about a 10 day wait during our construction phase. I am contemplating an outdoor shower for around the pool and would like your comments/ concerns about the installation:

1.Do they get used enough to justify?
2.Are you plumbed with hot & cold water or cold only?
3.If you didn't install one, now do you wish you had?

Just looking for some opinions. If I am going to install the shower, now would be the time to get the plumbing in order before decking goes in. Thanks for your thoughts on the idea.

Greenhaw

We just finished up, and did not do an outdoor shower. We did do a garden spicket near the equipment, but in all honesty, its mainly for a foot wash. I think the PB tied it in with the auto-leveler line, so it didn't cost us a dime to add the spicket (I think the PB said it was a $2.00 valve or something like that). No regrets on the shower from us. Don't see it getting used too terribly much.

We use that now more than I thought we would, especially since we are trying to get our grass to re-grow back there.

I have had a cold water outdoor shower poolside for 4 years now, and it never gets used, even on scorcher days when it might feel nice. Do you want your guests to shower before swimming? Install one and ask them to use it before diving in-they will probably be offended and not come back.

Generally, as long as your water is clear and free of CCs, most people will just shower at home.

So, unless you have unhygienic friends, I wouldn't worry too much about a shower.

I have a Tahiti Shower. It just hooks up to the hose bib. Has a wood base and cold water only. Since mine is a salt pool some people like to use it to rinse of with clear water after the pool. Although I have and use it, I don't think I would have spent the money or devoted the space for a permanently installed one. Mine can be moved around and only needs a hose.

We bought a stand alone shower a couple years ago on clearance.
We put it up, hooked the garden hose up to it, and voila instant shower.

We had it up 2 years and the kids just played in it, or people would run under it if they were super hot/sweaty.
Other than that, it didn't get used much.
It's in the shed this year.

I plumbed one in on my construction around the pool, mainly because it will be a salt water pool and I wanted to give people the option to rinse off after. The main cost was the fixture, coz the boss wanted a stylish one so it was $300.

Another reason I put one in was for me. I wanted to be able to shower before I got in the pool after working in the yard.

The inspector hemmed and hawed and finally the head plumbing guy asked me I there was going to be soap involved (y'all aren't going to be using soap are ya?) and since he put it that way I said no. He then said they would treat it like a spigot for yard care and not worry about draining it to the sewer. That was the big deal for them, being able to tie it into the sewer but protecting it from rainwater going into the sewer as well. So I got lucky there I guess. He also told me after with a wink that when asked I should say it was cold water only.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm building one and GUARANTEE I'll use it. When I work outside in the heat and want to go into the pool, it's painful to run inside in the AC and take a shower. Many times I give up on going back outside. I've got both hot and cold run to my shower and will be running this weekend. Can't wait to use it. I'm suprised very few use theirs.

Back in the days of yore... I lived with my sister for a while in the boonies, and the had a shower on the back porch. Her hubby (God rest his soul, he passed away last year) used to come home from work all yucky and sweaty and hit that shower before coming inside, loved that thing. But the neighbors were pretty far away!

I have a salt pool and will use it to wash the salt off. I used a mixing valve in the basement and ran one feed to the shower. The shower is not too hot which gets people out of it. The screw up I made was not having a shower stall for changing privacy. Turns out we love to change at the shower. I will update it with a stall when I get some time.

Unless you live near the beach and need to rinse off sand, etc. before getting in the pool I don't see a need for having one. Asking people to shower before they enter the pool is just wrong. Nobody has ever asked to shower after getting out of my pool, but I don't have a saltwater pool. An outdoor toilet would get a lot more use at my place.

I would strongly consider adding one of the various home made solar warmed PVC shower projects that can be portable and attached to a garden hose, I have a bathroom with a real shower in the pool house, and can tell you if I had a chance to redesign it the shower would be in its own room, and an additional "outdoor" shower could be a real consideration too. It is surprising how many people (usually women), like the idea of taking a long hot shower after swimming, which in the case of my pool ties up the only nearby bathroom also, the next nearest is about 75 feet away in the house.

I'm thinking about adding one when I pour the slab for the pool slide I got last year, the neighbors can't see into thar part of our yard. I saw a few simple ones in the corners of the backyards of houses we looked at when we were house shopping. With a chlorine pool we like to rinse the poison off after swimming:)

We finally have ours up and running. Take showers pretty frequently at the end of the day out there instead of inside. It feels SO GOOD! We've got a lot of the grown kids come over and each one of them loves it. I love using it prior to swimming if I've been working out there and also just to cool down in this HOT and HUMID year.

Attachments

• lPhaseV-Day368-Picture05.jpg
    lPhaseV-Day368-Picture05.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 343
XsAllOverIt said:
We finally have ours up and running. Take showers pretty frequently at the end of the day out there instead of inside. It feels SO GOOD! We've got a lot of the grown kids come over and each one of them loves it. I love using it prior to swimming if I've been working out there and also just to cool down in this HOT and HUMID year.
Wow that's really nice! and big! much nicer than what I was thinking. Do you have any other pics?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.