Brand new pool - Stonescapes (pebble) finish discoloration

N43122

Jul 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Our pool was just finished a few days ago. The pool was started up 2 days ago. Yesterday it cleared up enough for us to see detail in the pebble finish. I noticed in the deep end there is about a 10' x 5' oval shaped bright spot surrounded by a very dark area. The bright spot is about the same size/shape as the water that was left in the pool after the acid washing guy had left. Could this discoloration be due to a concentrated acid solution that collected in the bottom as the acid washing was done?? is this normal for a new pebble finish pool?

A photo is attached for reference. I'm a professional photographer and did my best to shoot the photograph in the best way possible to represent it as you would actually see it if you were standing and looking with your eyes. The photo is exactly as it looks in "real life" :)

pool_finish_discoloration_s.jpg

Attachments

• pool_finish_discoloration_s.jpg
    pool_finish_discoloration_s.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 468
Re: Brand new pool - Stonescapes (pebble) finish discolorati

That is quite a contrast. Does the floor of the pool match the colored oval?

As the owner you are much more likely to notice than your guests—but still, that is quite a contrast.

N43122 said:
The bright spot is about the same size/shape as the water that was left in the pool after the acid washing guy had left. Could this discoloration be due to a concentrated acid solution that collected in the bottom as the acid washing was done??

Absolutely. That looks like a major screwup. Can you tell if it is a white coating on the top of the pebbles? As a professional photographer, do you happen to have an underwater camera? A close-up would be interesting to see.

N43122 said:
is this normal for a new pebble finish pool?

Not remotely. Have you contacted the builder yet? If not, do so yesterday!

Out of curiosity... did they also color your water blue? I see it looks dark blue where the level is above the tiles.

Can't comment on the problem although I do know I'd be pizzed off if it were my pool.

Out of curiosity... did they also color your water blue?

No, that's regular water. Pool Builder responded today saying they will look into it. This particular pool builder are absolutely horrible with communication. It takes them days to respond to most of our concerns Our project superintendant and sales guy are rude and unresponsive and the delays and screw ups during the build were off the charts. Then to top it all off this final issue with the finish. Ugghhh. I'd never recommend them to anyone.

There is always some color variation, but that is extreme. It sounds like the acid wash people failed to fully neutralize the acid that collected in the bottom and it continued to affect the surface down there far more than what they used on the rest of the pool.

You need to wait and see what the builder says.

"Our project superintendant and sales guy are rude and unresponsive and the delays and screw ups during the build were off the charts" is sufficient cause for the report even with this, IMO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'm going to give them the opportunity to correct this issue in a timely manner. If they do not, rest assured I will file a complaint with the BBB and AZROC. Failing that, there's always the legal system which I have no problem using.

I spoke with the Stonescapes rep yesterday and he says provided the acid wash solution is light and diluted there should be no measurable decrease in the life of the finish. I sure hope so.

Stonescapes rep came out today and looked at the pool. Said it was 100% normal to have discoloration and wondered why we were "complaining". This is getting ridiculous.

N43122 said:
Out of curiosity... did they also color your water blue?

No, that's regular water. Pool Builder responded today saying they will look into it. This particular pool builder are absolutely horrible with communication. It takes them days to respond to most of our concerns Our project superintendant and sales guy are rude and unresponsive and the delays and screw ups during the build were off the charts. Then to top it all off this final issue with the finish. Ugghhh. I'd never recommend them to anyone.
i have had a similar experience with mine. i keep saying to myself "if i had a business that relies heavily on referrals and one in which you made $10,000 profit per customer i would be kissing their asses". but i too get the same "hurry get off the phone with your silly concerns" type of treatment from my builder and also will not recommend them to anyone.

Latest update.

PB says we should keep PH low for about 4 months. About 7.0-7.2. Says that will help equalize the color. I told them I'm willing to do that but slightly displeased. Oh well. if in 4 months it's all good it'll be water under the bridge. Onward and upward.

I don't think that's a satisfactory solution. They screwed up the finish and they need to fix it.

I guess they are suggesting that it is a scale buildup? Like I asked up above, is it a coating on the finish or something else? With new plaster, keepiing pH at such a low sustained level is going to be very work-intesive, and I'd hate to see them blame it on you when it looks the same in 4 months.

Keeping the water and pH at 7.0 to 7.2 and aggressive will etch the cement portion, and shorten the life of the plaster. As has been mentioned above, the question is whether this is a "scale" buildup or if the cement has been "etched" by the plasterer, and the "white" area is not normal.

There is no scale buildup. It's new pebbletec finish that showed discoloration upon filling up the pool (twice).

We have brought out two different pool companies to inspect and offer an opinion. Both have stated they have never heard of keeping pH low for 4 months to equalize the color in the pebbletec.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.