Do you know about Aquaguard Stabilizer conditioner remover

Re: Do you know about Aquaguard Stabilizer conditioner remo

Do you know if it works, it says it removes cyanuric acid from pools if too high.
Can it harm anything.
To my knowledge there is no such thing as a CYA remover so I wouldn't touch it. Never put anything in your pool when you don't know the outcome.

Is your CYA too high now?

It's melamine. It forms melamine cyanurate (aka melamine-cyanuric acid adduct). It is the same reaction that is used in the cyanuric acid test. There have been other manufacturers that have sold melamine for this purpose and they have withdrawn the product due to unwanted side effects. I don't think that anyone is currently selling this, is there?

I would advise against using it.

Other melamine based products have been expensive to use and often created cloudy water that was very difficult to clear up. Previous similar products were discontinued because there were too many problems. I have no idea if this one will be any better or not, but I'm not at all hopeful.

The poster indicates that they got this at a thrift store, so it might just be old stock of a discontinued product.

I am waiting for my good test kit to come in the mail. the Walmart test kit showed between 100 and 150 cya
If I remember correctly, the Walmart kit is a turbidity test similar to the one you will soon get but probably not quite as accurate.

That said, it is a pretty good indicator you will soon need to drain a portion of your pool to get the CYA manageable.

:evil: Melamine :evil:

It works by combining with the CYA which can then be filtered;however, you do NOT want this in your pool.

In 2008, Thousands of infants in China suffered acute kidney failure after being fed infant formula containing melamine.
In 2007, Cats and Dogs in the US died suddenly after being fed pet food laced with melamine.

PSG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks for all the info. I only paid $1/gal. for 4 gal. of the stuff, so I'm not out much. I used 1 gal and it it did cloud my pool some. Since I don't have a good test kit yet, I'm not sure if it lowered the cya.

I don't see the harm in trying it, as long as you're willing to deal with the cloudiness. Yes, melamine is poisonous, but it reacts quickly with the CYA so I don't think it would be a safety issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.