Extreme bleach usage, pool drops from TC 6 to 1-2 in 24hrs

Mar 30, 2011
Tempe/AZ
Hello, just as the subject says my pool is eating a ton of bleach. I'm a new owner to this pool which was built back in the 1980's. It's an inground pool located in Phoenix, AZ. So keep in mind we have extreme desert heat here and the average ambient temps now are 105 during the day and upper 80's to low 90's at night. My pool temp is 92 degrees currently. I haven't owned the pool long enough to wonder if it's just the heat eating through the bleach or if something else is wrong. My numbers are pretty solid, yesterday I ran a full test of everything and today i checked my FC and it was down to 1 already.

25,300 gallons in ground, plaster
FC - 1 (I try to keep this at 6 if possible)
CC - 0
TC - 1
pH - 7.5
T/A - 110
CH - 230
CYA - 50
Temp - 92

I have a pentair sand filter and my water is currently crystal clear. A week ago today we had that giant haboob come through and cake the phoenix area with 2-3" of dust. My pool has finally recovered and it's back to clear. Could the sand in my filter be bad and need to be changed out? I have no clue the last time it was changed but it's doing its job just fine. All the rest of my numbers seem to be in check except for my chlorine usage which is nearly a full 184oz of bleach daily, i'm using the 6% Walmart stuff. Maybe it's just living in the desert and extreme heat, no clue? Thoughts anyone? My pool gets sun pretty much all day from sun up to sun down with no shade and it's always sunny here in AZ.

Eric

Re: Extreme bleach usage, pool drops from TC 6 to 1-2 in 24h

Well, you should do an OCLT and rule out (or in) organics.

After you determine whether or not you need to shock, then you may consider raising your CYA up to help w/the extreme sun & heat.

How did you get the dust/dirt from the haboob out of your pool?

I'm going to say i'll need to shock the pool. After the big storm here in AZ the news people said that people should sock their pools immediately after a big dust storm like that. So it's a good chance i'll have to do that. Whats the best way to shock the pool appropriately? Do I buy a bag of shock or is there a different method TFP recommends to shock the pool properly?

yep i need to shock badly. At 3pm today I put a full 184oz of bleach in the pool and it's 8:30pm right now and my fc is already at 0. I'll poke around and find the proper way to shock my pool. Thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to get this chlorine issue taken care of.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.