Constantly having to add acid

wkussmaul

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2010
Hi all,
This is my first season using BBB and I couldn't be happier.
The water has never looked or felt better. Previously, the pool store had me adding Jack's Blue and algacide every week "just in case." Plus, I was chlorinating using tablets. Eventually, the CYA level was >150 and I had an algae bloom in spite of "adequate" chlorine levels. Thanks to the TFP website, I learned what had gone wrong, partially drained and refilled the pool to lower CYA, and now all seems well.

I do have a question, though, for the chemistry gurus: It seems I have to add acid 2-3 times a week. I check the pH and TC every other day. Here are my latest readings, from a full TF-100 test panel last weekend:
Hardness 250, TC 7, FC 7, pH 7.6, TA 100, CYA 100.
Adding acid using the Pool Calculator, the pH goes down then comes right back up.
I don't mind adding acid if done carefully, but is this expected behavior?

I don't mind adding acid if done carefully, but is this expected behavior?
Somewhat. Most pools will tend to experience pH rise. Are you letting it go to 7.8? and then lowering to 7.2......that might cut down your frequency.

If you are already doing that, you might consider lowering TA down around 70 which will slow the rate (but not the overall total) as well.

As an aside, your CYA is 100. Have you considered lowering that? Your FC of 7 is at the bare minimum for that CYA. Any lower and you will risk an algae bloom.

>> have to add acid 2-3 times a week.

Appears to be quite normal. In monitoring the SWCG caused rise in pH, the Simpool normally injects very small quantities each morning and then nothing for the rest of the day, I go through a gallon of acid about every 2.5 weeks while maintaining the pH at 7.4--7.5

"Luckily", living in the Northeast, I don't have to ever add any acid, as we get enough from the rains!! LOL!!! In fact, I have to do just the opposite, I watch pH lower and then add occasional Borax to counteract. Thanks Detroit !!! Or ... well, who do I thank nowadays??? With all the manufacturing jobs lost in our great country ... whom do I blame??? Must be all the coal burning power plants out that way!! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When our heat goes up (water can get to 90 degrees), and with my SWG, spa overspill, the waterfalls running every other day for a little while and still curing plaster (2 years a few months) I have to add acid almost daily. 8 ounces. Got it down. Now there are days here and there I can skip but for now this seems to be what the pool wants. :whip: My TA is 70 and was 60. Having problems with drought and CH increasing because we can't drain and add water right now. I just live with this and enjoy my sparklyicious water! :thequeen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.