Looking for a strainer basket

Jul 12, 2011
Piedmont of NC
I am a Licenced Aquatic Facility Tech for a small, rural country club pool. This is our setup. I know it isn't pretty but there are three techs and 3 attendants that make sure it is clean and run well. The community loves it.

As you can see it is old. I don't even know how old. The problem I have seems simple enough but I have just about exhausted all possibilites.

The problem: The baskets that are being used in that old strainer are Sta-Rite C858P. They seem to "fit" but are not the correct basket for it. The Sta-Rite is too short and if the "D" shaped inlet orifice of the basket is lined up with the outlet then we have a passthrough situation as indicated in my diagram. Our pump has suffered recently because of this. The basket must be turned with the "D" shaped orifice to the left under the inlet so that the basket will strain. I'm not sure that there isn't a possibilty that it could turn inside the housing and continue to cause problems. All the techs and attendants know to turn the basket so the "D" is to the left. I would like to find a basket that is better suited.

I called Hayward and they said a replacement basket lists for $319. We can't swing that at this facility. Any ideas on where to look for a less expensive basket that will work? I will get dimensions of what is needed tomorrow. FYI the bottom pic is the basket that Hayward says works. Then one above it is the Sta-Rite we are using.
[attachment=1:3daepyxu]strainer.JPG[/attachment:3daepyxu][attachment=0:3daepyxu]strainer2.JPG[/attachment:3daepyxu]
55-C858P.jpg

Extra-Replacement-Baskets-f.gif

Attachments

• strainer.JPG
    strainer.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 51
  • strainer2.JPG
    strainer2.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 51
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.