How long to run the pump?

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
I have been a pool owner for all of 10 days now and I tend to run the pump 4-8 hrs. a day. My water is testing excellently and it's pristine sparkly, but I think I'm running the pump WAY too long. I want to cut down, but don't know what is optimal. A little info on the pool & filter combo is in my signature. I'm running the pool around 16K gallons and the pump is rated for a 38K gallon turnover in 4 hours, so my pool is being turned over in just under 2 hours. If the rule of thumb 1 turn-over or is there such a rule? Thanks in advance for the help!

I thought I knew enough about pools but after discovering this forum I realized there is a lot more to learn. I know for me in phoenix during the summer I run it around 8-10 hours and in off season only half that. I am sure someone will chime in and give the correct info but I think someone had told me at leslies to run it 1hr for ever 10 degrees (not sure how accurate that is though)

I live in the Coachella Valley (La Quinta/Palm Springs area) with temps now over 100 degrees every day and have a 48 foot x 30 foot pool, 8 feet deep at the deep end....I run my pump 5 hours a day....I have an Intelichlor salt system. Water is totally clean and meets all the numbers for Ph, chlorine, etc. 5 hours works for me pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.