Stains - Am I on the right track??

May 9, 2011
Hi guys. Bought an existing house with existing pool last month. Since then have been a religious follower of BBB method and have seen noticeable improvements in water clarity since taking over from previous owner's pool guy.

However, even though the water is sparkly, the pool is old and struggling cosmetically. Here are a few pics (underwater camera) of the ugly stain I'm trying to tackle:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jcraigcx/PoolStain

First off, my numbers:

FC 6.5
CC 0
TA 80
CH 320
CYA 60
pH 7.5

My original thought was I had some sort of algae problem, so performed the OCLT. Passed with no loss, clear water. I then tried the Vitamin C test and saw no results after a minute of holding tablet to stain. So just tossed tablet in water. Came back 30 minutes later and found the stain totally removed from the spot it landed. Repeated again with new tablet - same results.

So I'm thinking metal stain and am in the process of lowering FC to start the absorbic acid process. Does this seem a reasonable conclusion and approach?

Thanks,
Craig

Thanks. I have the absorbic acid and sequesterant.

I'm having a hard time finding Polyquat 60 as recommended to suppress algae blooms. Still looking (Dallas area)....

Will post after pictures as well.

Well, I've decided I don't have the right stuff. I picked up the Ascorbic Acid and Sequesterant at a local pool stores and now that I've read a bit more on this site, I think I need to take this stuff back and go with exactly what is recommended in the Ascorbic treatment article.

So back goes Leslie's Stain Remover and Natural Chemistry's Metal Free. Instead getting Ascorbic in bulk along with Jack's Magic Pink Stuff & Polyquat 60. Note the Leslie's guy told me Polyquat won't work once I drop the FC, but I'm going with what the article says.

I'll be ordering from the Chemistry Store and PoolGeek. This is going to cost be about a week's worth of time (for delivery), but this stuff is so expensive, I want to get it right.

Will update again when I get the stuff.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.