Green Stains - Cant Clean - HELP!

jmcnyc

Jul 12, 2011
I bought a house with a pool. The pool was closed for at least 2 years - maybe longer. It is in ground and a vinyl liner and 21,000
gallons. It was a pond when I opened it - but have made great progress. The water is crystal clear. The bottom and sides have
green stains. I have shocked it 6 times - once doing a double (4lbs). I have used Green to Clean from Leslies. I have tried two different
algaecide. I have tried organic stain remover. I am at a loss. Any advice? See the picture below.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 283
You have made great progress! :goodjob:

You can test an area for organic staining by holding a trichlor tablet on a stained area for one minute. If it lightens, then maintaining higher FC levels or shocking will lighten/reduce or remove them.

If it doesn't lighten at all, you could test for metals stains by holding an unglazed/plain/cheap otc vitamin C tablet to a stained area for 30 seconds. If Vit C lightens the stain, then an AA treatment would help.

I suggest you stop over and do some reading in Pool School, especially the article on How To Shock Your Pool.

You only need bleach/liquid chlorine to clear and maintain your pool.

Algaecides can have unwanted side effects (like copper - hard to deal with in your pool) and they are better at preventing than curing anything.
Also, we only recommend one algaecide and that is PolyQuat60.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanks for the input.

I have shocked the pool multiple times. I have been using Leslie's powder shock - calcium hypochlorite - Power Powder Plus. Last time I used 4lbs in my 21,000 gallon pool. Is their powder a good choice? Is this the problem that I am not shocking it enough and using the wrong product?

Most of us use liquid bleach to shock our pools... and to maintain our pools. The most common mistake with shocking is that most people treat it as a one time thing, it is not, it is a process with a beginning and a definitive ending. Clear water, CCs of .5 or less, and an Overnight Chlorine Loss of 1PPM or less.

Any additional advice. I have kept the clorine high for a week - and also went through the shock process documented in pool school. No progress. I really think it is stains as I try to scrub it with a stiff brush and no luck.

jmcnyc said:
Any additional advice. I have kept the clorine high for a week - and also went through the shock process documented in pool school. No progress. I really think it is stains as I try to scrub it with a stiff brush and no luck.

Have you done the Vitamin C test yet?

Yes. Did vitamin c test and no results. Pool was closed for two many three years. Have green stains over most of the bottom and some sides. Shocked it a number of times. We use it this weekend the water is crystal clear. Any ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Picture posted at the top of the thread.

I suspect the stain is organic - the Vitiman C test didnt result in a fading of the stain. I have agressivly scrubbed the stain as well with no results.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.