mark forums read?

I know of that one.

When I read the forum, I use the link at the top right to view posts since last visit. This provides a list of all the posts that I have not yet read. On that same page, it would be nice to have a mark all posts read. Then I can mark all posts read without having to go to the top of the forum and click it there.

Just a nit. . .

HD,

When I read the forum, I use the link at the top right to view posts since last visit. This provides a list of all the posts that I have not yet read. On that same page, it would be nice to have a mark all posts read

I'm not sure I understand. Like you, I use the "view posts since last visit" feature to look at every post since I last logged on. Once I do that and exit the program, those posts don't reappear when I log back on so I see no need for the "mark posts as read" feature.

It sounds like we read the forum the same way but apparently use a little different technique......am I missing somethin?

Anyway, as Sean said, it's still available, just not in the same place as it was.

Hi, Dave,

Typically I don't read every post.

Nor do I. However, If you:

1. log on
2. view posts since last visit
3. read what you want and then log off

none of those posts will reappear when you log back on....regardless that they have been read or not......at least, that's how my setup works.

duraleigh said:
If you:

1. log on
2. view posts since last visit
3. read what you want and then log off

none of those posts will reappear when you log back on....regardless that they have been read or not......at least, that's how my setup works.

Mine works this way also, even though I never actually 'log out' but just close TFP or Firefox.

I usually read most posts, or at least take a glance, but there have been times when I have not read all ( :shock: don't tell anyone!) and only the posts that were new since I closed TFP or Firefox show up as new!

HTH!

For the technically minded:

There are two systems for tracking which posts have been read. If you log out or quit the browser it goes by the date/time you most recently accessed the site. However, as long as you are actively on the site it uses a session cookie to track which specific posts have been read. Anything that ends the session, logging out of the site or quitting the browser, will switch to the time of most recent access method, which will mark everything as of your last access read.

Thanks, Jason, like we weren't confused enough with all this pool stuff, you toss in some confusing IT stuff... :roll: :hammer: :wink:

Kidding! I have such a poor grasp on tech stuff that it is good if anyone can understand what I am saying, much less put it into better terms!!

:geek:

Here's my beef:
I go to TFP from my favorites page
Already logged in, don't have to enter anything
I click "view topics since last visit"
review and read those that I want
exit site w/o logging out....

So then I have to go back to home page and scroll all the way down to the bottom to click mark post read

What I don't like to do is:
1) log out and in....can't remember log ins, etc all the time. Guess I'm always logged in???
2) cuss every time I have to go back to the main page to mark post read.

In a perfect world:
the mark posts/forums read would be on the post page that come up AFTER you click the view posts since last visit page. Most off the other forums I visit have it set up that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey, Cary,

I think that may be the problem. When you exit the site, are you leaving the window open somehow? If you completely close that instance of TFP, you get logged off automatically and, at least on my machine, ANY and ALL posts are "marked as read"

The next time you go back to TFP, you will come back in automatically (because you've asked Windows to remember your password) but that should be a new instance of TFP and the only posts that will show up as new will be those that occurred since you closed TFP the last time.

duraleigh said:
Hey, Cary,

I think that may be the problem. When you exit the site, are you leaving the window open somehow? If you completely close that instance of TFP, you get logged off automatically and, at least on my machine, ANY and ALL posts are "marked as read"

The next time you go back to TFP, you will come back in automatically (because you've asked Windows to remember your password) but that should be a new instance of TFP and the only posts that will show up as new will be those that occurred since you closed TFP the last time.

Nope, actually read your post, exited by going to another website, then came back w/in 3 minutes and this thread still showed up a "view posts since last visit". So, I'm going to actually LOG OUT this time and see what happens.

ivyleager said:
duraleigh said:
Hey, Cary,

Nope, actually read your post, exited by going to another website, then came back w/in 3 minutes and this thread still showed up a "view posts since last visit". So, I'm going to actually LOG OUT this time and see what happens.

Okay, so this time I logged out, and came back and what do ya know!!!??? I couldn't remember if I am ivyleager or ivyleeger (both are name I use on different sites), so took me a few minutes of cursing to get back on the site. But, IT WORKED!!!! When you log out, all previously looked as topics are excluded and no longer show up. Whippee!!!!

BUT....even tho I checked "log me in automatically each visit" when I logged in as mentioned above, when I logged out, I am forced to log in. Does this happen to anyone else?

I'm not sure why you are having that issue, but it may be a setting on your end.

I had 13 unread posts, including yours, closed the window, opened IE again, went to TFP and now show no new posts. I did not log out or have to log back in. I stayed logged on both times.

What browser are you using, do you have it set to allow cookies?

SeanB said:
I'm not sure why you are having that issue, but it may be a setting on your end.

I had 13 unread posts, including yours, closed the window, opened IE again, went to TFP and now show no new posts. I did not log out or have to log back in. I stayed logged on both times.

As someone totally computer illiterate.....no, my computer does not allow me to eat cookies! LOL

I did not close out my IE browser when experimenting above. Just went to and fro in between different websites. I will try this tactic. But, usually during the day my computer is on for like 4-6 hours at a time, so my browser is open all that time.

ivyleager said:
SeanB said:

As someone totally computer illiterate.....no, my computer does not allow me to eat cookies! LOL

I did not close out my IE browser when experimenting above. Just went to and fro in between different websites. I will try this tactic. But, usually during the day my computer is on for like 4-6 hours at a time, so my browser is open all that time.

Oh joy of joy!!! Snoopy happy dance!!! Yes, by closing the IE browser and then coming back on, it worked like a charm.

Now, for those time when I don't want to exit the IE browser NOR should I have to go back to the Index page to mark all forums as read, will there ever come a time when this feature will be atop the listing of topics/posts, like maybe directly under Trouble Free Pool Forum Index over on the left?

thanks for you help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.